My AR-X and Redline 85 Plus experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
The two vehicles are turbo diesels, a Nissan Patrol 4.2 litre, (6 cyl, indirect injection, no intercooler), and a Land Rover Defender 300Tdi (2.5 litre, 4 cyl, intercooled, 15.5 PSI boost).

The Nissan now has 120 000km after completing its AR-X rinse phase, the Landy is about to complete its rinse phase at 136 000km.
The Nissan has been fed a diet of mineral oil since new, (Castrol by the dealer, and Fuchs Titan Universal HD (CF-4) by the local garage. A CF-4 oil is required to comply with warranty !) changed every 5 000km, and the Landy has been using Delvac 1 for the last 60 000km, which is the period I've owned it. Prior to that was Castrol, either GTD or RX Super.

Penn LL (CH-4) was used in the Patrol for the clean phase, and Fuchs Titan Ultralube (CI-4) used for both phases in the Landy, and the rinse phase in the Patrol.

I've cut open five filters now after doing two AR-X rinses and completed one flush.
Our Nissan uses two filters, one full flow and one 'combination' of full flow and by-pass, and I found just one small piece of crap in a Nissan filter. All filters used during these phases have been Donaldson. I've been trying to get Mann filters for the Land Rover, but Mann Australia and their dealers have been a pain.

Before we AR-Xed, I used Redline 85 Plus fuel cleaner through both vehicles, and have been using a maintenance dose since. The initial dose of 85 Plus made a huge difference to the Nissan.
Both vehicles are running appreciably better using the combination, the Nissan significantly so.
Objectively, it is pulling better than ever, and we've had it since new.
Higher speeds are easily obtained when traversing the nearby hills and mountains. When towing our big Warmblood horse, it can now go over the nearby range in third gear, where previously we always had to use second. subjectively, the engine is smoother.

The Landy is a maybe little better in the mid range and top end, but it is the off boost performance that is a revelation, there is appreciably more torque from idle, with the turbo spooling up earlier, and EGT has dropped slightly overall.

Would we have achieved these results with only one or the other product ?
I doubt it, but I can't state at all what percentage each product has contributed to the result, but really, who cares, (well, one part of me really wants to know
wink.gif
) as the overall result has been excellent.

The Patrol has now gone onto Delvac 1, and the Landy will soon be back onto it as well, so in a little while a UOA will be performed to see how things are travelling, particularly with a continued 85 Plus maintenance dose.

I still have leaks from the engine oil cooler lines on the Landy, but they are poor crimps on the flexible lines. I've AR-Xed the power steering, and was amazed at the crap that was flushed out. I'm now running AR-X in the gear box and transfer case to see if it will stop the oil leaks there.

Stay tuned........

[ August 21, 2004, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: tdi-rick ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back