tire psi rating.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend says he never inflates to what the tire says as in inflate to 35 psi. He says that that's a pressure that's only needed when the vehicle is loaded down,and with that pressure,the center of the tread will wear out sooner than the outer edges.I tell him that's where it should always be kept at,regardless of load.

Your friend is correct. 35 PSI would be the minimum pressure required to carry the max load the tire is rated for.

35 PSI may or may not be what the vehicle manufacturer wants you to run.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan

35 PSI may or may not be what the vehicle manufacturer wants you to run.

Nor may be it necessary for your vehicle.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
My friend says he never inflates to what the tire says as in inflate to 35 psi. He says that that's a pressure that's only needed when the vehicle is loaded down,and with that pressure,the center of the tread will wear out sooner than the outer edges.I tell him that's where it should always be kept at,regardless of load.

The pressure on the tire sidewall is maximum. This low max pressure indicate that the tire is S or lower speed rate, T and H have 44 PSI max and higher speed has 51-52 PSI max.

On every vehicle I've owned, the "recommended" tire pressure resulted in accelerated wear to the outer and inner surfaces of tires. Manufacturer recommends lower pressures to keep the ride smooth.

Since then with each new vehicle or set of tires, have always started by putting tires at maximum pressure and seeing how they wear.

Almost without exception, max rated tire pressure gives even wear across the surface of the tire.

Each vehicle varies so yours may differ.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
On every vehicle I've owned, the "recommended" tire pressure resulted in accelerated wear to the outer and inner surfaces of tires. Manufacturer recommends lower pressures to keep the ride smooth.

Since then with each new vehicle or set of tires, have always started by putting tires at maximum pressure and seeing how they wear.

Almost without exception, max rated tire pressure gives even wear across the surface of the tire.

I have found that +3 psi is about as much as I can deviate from the factory spec without sacrificing handling and stability.

For most cars on the road, tires are not terribly expensive so slight uneven treadwear is not a major concern IMO.

Your friend is correct. 35 PSI would be the minimum pressure required to carry the max load the tire is rated for.
what then would be maximum?

So then what determines air pressure ? The vehicle itself,the rating of the tire,the load being carried?

Load tables, vehicle handling requirements, ride quality. Obviously some margin of error as well.

what then would be maximum?

The recommended tire pressure is the correct tire pressure. Some vehicles may have a separate tire pressure recommendation in the owner's manual for when the vehicle is heavily loaded, but this is not common.

Last edited:
A tyre fits a wide range of vehicles - the tyre manufacturer gives a max pressure for that tyre regardless of use. The vehicle manufacturer gives pressures for a specific vehicle, sometimes for different loadings too. I use the pressures recommended for the vehicle, I may go up or down a little for different tyres or use....but I ignore the max pressure rating of the tyre because I'll never go that high.

I don't even know where to start. So if this sounds disjointed.....

The pressure listed on the vehicle tire placard is for the tire size listed there. Change tire size = change pressure.

Usually there is a single value there that covers both the fully loaded conditon (GVW) and the curb weight. Vehicle manufacturers test at BOTH conditions, but at the placard pressure. If you use something different than the placard, the vehicle COULD behave in unpredicable ways.

Tires don't know what vehicle they are going on, so what is listed on the sidewall are not recommendations.

What is listed on the vehicle tire placard will ALWAYS be apropriate for the fully loaded vehicle. If the owners manual has additional information, it will be about LESS than fully loaded. (Sometimes the placard has this information as well.)

Differences in load and inflation pressure have only a minor affect on evenness of wear. Most uneven wear comes from the tire design itself - AND - many OE tires are specifically designed to give good rolling resistance values and one of the ways to do this is to reduce the amount of tread rubber in the shoulder area. The result is shoulder wear - and because there is no treadwear warranty on OE tires, this practice has become pretty standard.

How about this,if you lower the air pressure in all four tires,would that take some of the *shock* that would normally be taken by the car's suspension and give it to the tires,thus making your suspension last longer? I've always wondered about that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic

I have found that +3 psi is about as much as I can deviate from the factory spec without sacrificing handling and stability.

For most cars on the road, tires are not terribly expensive so slight uneven treadwear is not a major concern IMO.

You might change your opinion if you drive off the edge of the road in the wet because your tires have been inderinflated for 20000 miles.

+1

I go not quite to max, but as much over than OEM 'suggested' pressure that does not sacrifice ride quality (typically in the 40-42psi range). This has always made our tires last longer than the warranty mileage ratings would suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back