Cub Cadet HTF cross reference

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Cub (model 7254) and I need to know a suitable substitute for Cub Cadet Hydraulic Transmission Fluid. Trying to avoid overpaying for Cub branded fluid if there is a more generic fluid that will get the job done.

I dont think you'll find a direct cross to the cub fluid as theyre very strange with that. I have known guys to run the equivelant of John Deere Hy Guard, this type fluid can be found at many farm stores, just look for the mention of JD Hy Guard on the back of the label.

Originally Posted By: BSLMS
I have a Cub (model 7254) and I need to know a suitable substitute for Cub Cadet Hydraulic Transmission Fluid. Trying to avoid overpaying for Cub branded fluid if there is a more generic fluid that will get the job done.

What does the Cub manual recommend?

If it's Cub Cadet Drive System Fluid Plus, Shell Rotella-T in 15w40 or 5w40 flavor can be interchanged with it.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: BSLMS

What does the Cub manual recommend?

If it's Cub Cadet Drive System Fluid Plus, Shell Rotella-T in 15w40 or 5w40 flavor can be interchanged with it.

Joel

again im 99% positive that you wont find a direct interchange, and cubs drive system plus is nearly a straight 20 weight such as the jd hygard i mentioned in my previous post. going based on whats stated in this quote, 10w-30/ or any other oil you wish to put in there, will work just fine, and it will, but its no where near what is spec'd. plus hygard is hydralic fluid, not engine oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: clarklawnscape

again im 99% positive that you wont find a direct interchange, and cubs drive system plus is nearly a straight 20 weight such as the jd hygard..

I did some pretty extensive research on the Cub Cadet Drive System Fluid plus some years back. Had some correspondence directly with the folks at Shell who make it (or made it at the time for Cub). I wouldn't say it's a 20wt at all, but again, I'm not the commercial equipment expert.

I also confirmed with the folks at HydroGear corp at that time that 40wts are typically what they use in their products. Cub uses almost exclusively HydroGear drives and all of them spec the CCDSFP.

Problem is, I have no ideal if the original poster's machine even specs this stuff in the first place anyway.

Shell TTF-SB (tractor transaxle fluid, synthetic blend):

ShellTTF-SB1.jpg

ShellTTF-SB2.jpg

Joel

Last edited:
This is a tractor not a lawn tractor, lawn equipment manufactures hydro flid reommendations are all over the chart, yet they dont make the hydro unit themselves. And im sure both your and my recomendation will work, but the hygard that im recommending is more on the hydro side of the aspect, thus the inital question. never once in your last post did i see the mention of cub, just as im very doubtful that you will, i am not doubting that shell did infact bottle the fluid for cub however. if the original poster is still in question, i would contact a kioti tractor dealer and inquire, as im 99% sure they made that unit, some were yanmar however. again, im positive either would work, but i believe the original was on the thinner side of things than 40. it is my error for using your wording of cub drive system plus tho.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: clarklawnscape
... never once in your last post did i see the mention of cub, just as im very doubtful that you will, i am not doubting that shell did infact bottle the fluid for cub however.

MSDS right from Cub.

Yeah Clark. I made it all up.

Joel

never once did i say you made anything up, my original point is, is that cub is very secretive of that info, lets re-read that... CUB is secretive. I dont know what your personal issue is w me nor do i care. again, in the posters case, im sure he will find his needed fluid to be closer to hygard hydralic fluid equivalent and not an engine oil. but again, im sure both would work. i would contact kioti to be sure, if im the owner, as cub cadet has not manufactured a thing since 1981, its simply a name sold. and lawn equipment hydro systems are speced oil all over the board, from hydro fluid to 20wt to 20w50, again they dont manufacture the hydro units, so their input is not needed in anyway, its like looking up gm oil recomendation in a ford manual. again, this is a tractor, not a lawn tractor.

Last edited:
After reviewing everyone's comments, thank you all. I decided to go with the JD Hy-Gard equivalent. I have 3 hydro commercial mowers and am very familiar with their requirements. Just needed some insight for this tractor as it belongs to my neighbor and he lets me borrow it occasionally. In routine checking, I found that there was no fluid showing on the dipstick and I was looking for the correct fluid to add. I suspect that the fluid was never topped off after the front loader attachment was installed. Fortunately the hours have been kept low so I doubt any damage has occurred. Hopefully. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back