GM top engine cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you may have heard of this. It's an engine cleaner added to your intake(as opposed to the gas tank) that was intended for carburetors, but some use if for FI engines.

The instructions tell you to pour it into your carb while throttling to keep the engine running then pour in the last bit quickly killing the engine.

Some are recommending it for FI engines by sucking it through a vacuum hose. I tried it on one car and had the oxygen sensor go shortly afterward. I was barked off a forum for suggesting it might be harmful to an FI engine, particularly one with TEFLON coated supercharger rotors.

Here are the ingredients listed on the can:

Petroleum naphtha CAS-8030-30-6
Water CAS-7732-18-5(there's a CAS # for water?)
2-Butoxy ethanol CAS-111-76-2
9-Octadecenoic acid (Z)-, ammonium salt CAS-544-60-5
Mineral oil CAS-64742-52-5
Methyl amyl alcohol CAS-108-11-2

What do you guys think?

-T

quote:

The instructions tell you to pour it into your carb while throttling to keep the engine running then pour in the last bit quickly killing the engine.

Hmm ...these have changed over the years. The last time I used it, the instructions said to, with an elevated idle, pour half the can in until the engine stalls ...wait 20-40 minutes then restart the engine ..and with an elevated rpm ...slowly pour the second half of the can in. Since the stuff stifled the combustion process ..this ended up being a rather high revving event. You would sinchronize your pouring with opening the trottle.

I don't know about your teflon coated SC rotors ..but in the absense of combustion ..and the non residue nature of the product ...I don't see a problem.

Seen a reference to this product on an Mitsubishi forum of some kind (it's been a few weeks, I can't remember where exactly it was). A guy seemed out of breath from excitement when recommending this product. The appplication process that supposedly worked for him was a little different, though. On top of pouring it into the intake while the engine was idling, etc. he pulled the plugs and poured some of the product directly into the combustion chambers and let them soak overnight. The next day he cranked the engine with the plugs still off to get the liquid out, cleaned the plugs (he recommended doing that too, or even better - replacing the plugs), put it all back together, fired it up, and supposedly, there was all kinds of positive difference.
This was done on an FI car, and nowhere was any reference to any O2 sensor/cat damage.
dunno.gif

I'm just wondering if this is a best product for a FI car. Some users are very adamant about this stuff, and swear it is god's gift to engines.

-T

hi what you describe is almost like MMO, also mopar for jeeps has some stuff, but it seems to be to aggressive.............
smile.gif

Hey Guys, my brother works at GM and one of the techs told him that the top cleaner is the same thing as "Seafoam" that is sold at napa.

Of course GM gets alot more money for it. It does a real good job of cleaning out gummed up motors, it solved a noisy lifter in my old jetta.

I still think that auto-rx is the best way to clean a motor, but to clean up a beater I would use this seafoam stuff. It seems to be more of an agressive clean than auto-rx which worries me somewhat.

Justin

I run all my stuff on a steady diet of Lucas* and it does a killer job of keeping things clean.I pulled the head on my LS1 @ 34K and it looked brand new,it`s seen a steady run of Lucas since new. Cracking the heads now at 75K I`m sure will show the same results.
@ $20 per gallon its well worth it IMO.

SS/LS

Was not a steady diet..., but I ran a quart of Lucas through my girl's Explorer. It made no real difference except when the Lucas was in the tank. 16 oz of Fuel Power, every other tank, silenced the detonation it had. 3 tanks since the last FP was in it, it's still quiet.

I run 2oz every 3rd-4th tank,and on my Camaro it even keeps the vapor tube on the TB clean and thats saying something. If you own an oil sucking pig LS1 you`ll know what I`m refering to.Best place to purchase the Lucas Injector Cleaner is thru a Truck Dealership,Mack/Volvo,Freightliner etc tons of savings when purchased by the gallon.
1 gal. $20
1 7oz bottle (autozone etc)$4.00

Easy math !Great Product !!

I run the top engine cleaner through my 3.1L 97 Monte Carlo annually, during the summer, immediately before I change the oil. The results are extremely noticeable, my fuel economy goes up after using it, my engine is running much more smoothly, and this past year when I ran it, I was having alot of valve train noise under a steady load (such as climbing a hill), which is now gone.

When I run it, I run the car up to operating temperature, disconnect the brake booster hose, reconnect another hose to the connection on the plenum, place a funnel in the other end, then pour 3/4 the bottle into the engine. I let it sit for 30 minutes, then I restart the car, dump the last 1/4 can in, and drive it around in 1st, maintaining constant revs at certain speeds, during which time the car blows out MAJOR smoke. You will fumigate your entire neighborhood using the stuff, and the smoke that comes out of it is rancid. I'd recommend you do this in the most underpopulated area you can find. Maybe an empty parking lot in a closed shopping center or something.

I do use and highly recommend the stuff. It does work very well. You also want to make sure you change your oil after using it though, since it does quite a number on the oil...hence why I always run the stuff right before I need an oil change.

quote:

Originally posted by mstrjon32:
When I run it, I run the car up to operating temperature, disconnect the brake booster hose, reconnect another hose to the connection on the plenum, place a funnel in the other end, then pour 3/4 the bottle into the engine. I let it sit for 30 minutes, then I restart the car, dump the last 1/4 can in, and drive it around in 1st, maintaining constant revs at certain speeds, during which time the car blows out MAJOR smoke. You will fumigate your entire neighborhood using the stuff, and the smoke that comes out of it is rancid. I'd recommend you do this in the most underpopulated area you can find. Maybe an empty parking lot in a closed shopping center or something.

When I do a motor purge like this with Seafoam, I do it in the evening so that when I run the car after treatment, the noxious cloud is less noticeable, plus there's less traffic out too.
wink.gif

The original GM Top Engine Cleaner has been discontinued. However, Ford still has a similar product: Motorcraft PM-3 Carburetor Tune-up Cleaner.

The Ford version may be even better than the original GM Top Engine Cleaner:
* Butyl Cellosolve (aka Ethyleneglycolmonobutylether aka 2-Butoxyethanol) - removes carbon (same ingredient as in the original GM Top Engine Cleaner)
* ammonium hydroxide - removes metallic ash (took a while, but found this in an Exxon Mobil patent)
* methylisobutyl carbinol (solvent for gums and lacquers)

I assumed that the Ford cleaner had also been discontinued but it is still available.
I used it in the past successfully (chunks of carbon flying out of the tailpipe and significantly cleaned combustion chambers as verified using a borescope)

Originally Posted By: Christian_89LSC_96XJR
The original GM Top Engine Cleaner has been discontinued. However, Ford still has a similar product: Motorcraft PM-3 Carburetor Tune-up Cleaner.

* Butyl Cellosolve (aka Ethyleneglycolmonobutylether aka 2-Butoxyethanol) - removes carbon (same ingredient as in the original GM Top Engine Cleaner)
* ammonium hydroxide - removes metallic ash (took a while, but found this in an Exxon Mobil patent)

I assumed that the Ford cleaner had also been discontinued but it is still available.
I used it in the past successfully (chunks of carbon flying out of the tailpipe and significantly cleaned combustion chambers as verified using a borescope)

Or just buy seafoam.
This thread is a decade old. Whatever bridge we were building with it we've long since passed by now.
And sea foam won't harm any sensors. I use it,and MMO in everything. I've even got an inverse oiler on my chargers I its getting a steady stream through a vacuum line.
30000 miles with it and no sensor or any issues yet.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: Christian_89LSC_96XJR

I've even got an inverse oiler on my chargers I its getting a steady stream through a vacuum line.
30000 miles with it and no sensor or any issues yet.

I beat you Clevy. 27+ years with an Inverse Oiler on the same vehicle, no sensor or CC issues yet. In still waiting. LOL Happy New Year buddy!

I have a few bottles of the original formula GM Top Engine Cleaner, if anyone is interested in buying some PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back