I am using Manual Transmission fluid instead of...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATF in my Manual Transmission in my car, for some reason I just don't like the idea of ATF in a Manual Transmission so I am Putting the Amsoil Manual Transmission Syncromesh fluid in my Cavaliers F23 Getrag Transmission.

Found it odd too that some manuals call for ATF as the fill.

ATF is really thin, maybe for fuel economy and cold flow??

I'd just stick with ATF in your tranny, seems to work.

Lots of discussion on ATF vs other fluids. I went to the mtf 5w-30 from amsoil though my 91 BMW specs ATF. Has felt and worked great.

I had a clutch replaced in a Dodge Daytona in the late 80's. The repair shop put the manual fluid back in it and I could hardly shift it. It took 3 to 4 drain and fill cycles to get the shifting back to what it was. The transmission was DESIGNED to use ATF.

A friend had a 1981 Dodge Omni when we were in high school. It used ATF as MTF. Why would you use something other than what the manufacturer of the car specifies? Because it doesn't "feel" right?

ATF is more like 0w20, used to be whale oil, now is high volatility Alkylated naphthalene (high inherent lubricity cut with polar heads) or partially synthesised paraffinic. Substituting Motor oil with high FM additisation may cause balky synchro.

Last edited:
ATF is cheap compared to fine dedicated manual trans lubes.
Except maybe for real cold weather, the Amsoil should be way better in many respects.

Many sticks spec ATF solely because it makes the job of the guy on the assembly line filling both manuals and automatics simpler.

If your vehicle specs ATF for the manual tranny you most likely can use a synchromesh MTL fluid. Both are very similar in viscosity, at least RP's SynchroMax is. The benefit is better wear protection than ATF.

Whimsey

After a couple of the earlier threads on this topic, I decided to use Pennzoil Synchromesh fluid instead of ATF in my Cobalt's manual transmission (same unit as in the OP's Cavalier).

After 20 miles or so, I started noticing that shifting was much smoother, especially going into first. I never thought that it was notchy before, but it's much smoother now. Maybe that's just the newer fluid, but the old only had 35K on it.

Just my 2 cents!

Originally Posted By: carwreck
After GM released Dexron VI, they specified that it should not be be used in any manual transmission.
Per GM Tech bulletins, manual transmission fluid should be used as a replacement for manual transmissions that originally had Dexron III.

Yes, but it's generally believed that the GM p/n 88861800 fluid is just Dexron III-H.

Originally Posted By: hounddog
ATF is basicly 5w30.

That is not really true. They're closer to a 20 grade, especially Mercon LV, which has a viscosity of like 6.1 at 100 C, which is thin 20 grade range. Valvoline MaxLife ATF one-size-fits-all fluid is also a similar weight at 100 C.

EDIT: Sorry Arco, I realized afterward that you already touched on this.

Last edited:
Switched a 2000 Civic to Pennz Synchromesh - has made shifting a bit better. Went with Redline D4 ATF in my 2005 Vue - didn't make much difference (horrible shift feel thanks to some bendy shift cables anyways - and they're only a year old), but I know its better than a DIII ATF with protection akin to a MTF.

Yeah I decided I am definitely going with the amsoil Manual Transmission Syncromesh fluid for my F23 instead of the ATF and I already ordered 2 quarts of it and another gallon jug of oil and another oil filter from Amsoil and will be changing it out soon before I go to Maine for Thanksgiving. I can't wait to see how the fluid looks after almost 100,000 miles on the same fluid.

I have 3 Getrag 288's in my Turbo cruisers and run the MTF instead of ATF. I also use it in my NV242 transfer cases, much better lube for the gears,

Originally Posted By: TDOHGL01
ATF in my Manual Transmission in my car, for some reason I just don't like the idea of ATF in a Manual Transmission so I am Putting the Amsoil Manual Transmission Syncromesh fluid in my Cavaliers F23 Getrag Transmission.

No

The factory fill for the early 84-87 525 and 555 was atf, then they switched to 10w-30 engine oil right in the owners manual from 88 and up. Better durability with the engine oil. I used 0w-30 in my 520's and 555 getrags and latter the Amsoil MTF

VNTS -
Don't you think a dedicated manual trans fluid is best? C'mon now... is motor oil better than real trans fluid biased for synchro action, with anti wear and extreme pressure agents also?

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
VNTS -
Don't you think a dedicated manual trans fluid is best? C'mon now... is motor oil better than real trans fluid biased for synchro action, with anti wear and extreme pressure agents also?

CHrysler switched to 10w-30 motor oil in the factory fill for transaxles in 1988, thru 1987 they filled with ATF.

Look up Ed Peters, he stated that they switch to the motor oil to improve durability of the transaxles and the only reason they originally used ATF was for cold wether shifting and one less fluid at the factory, BTW he was the head reliability engineer at Chrysler at that time. He also built a lot of SCCA Neon motors which dominated their class back in the day.

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/friends_ed_peters.html

Oh per the MTF, I use the MTF Amsoil has once they came out with it, but prior to that, I used the 0w-30 engine oil in my Getrag gear sets in my Shelbys.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back