2012 VW 09G Fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put some pretty serious mileage on my car each year, which means I will need a trans fluid change in about a year. A long way off, but I'm always thinking ahead.

The 09G requires VW Spec fluid. 3309 is approved/suitable, and Amsoil and Redline say their fluids are compatible. VW OEM fluid is horribly expensive, though there are approved fluids available at a lower price. 3309 is the least expensive, but not synthetic.

Any thoughts on what YOU would use?

Thanks.

Interesting and good advice. Interval is 40k, so 3309 at 40k, and then when the warranty is up at 60, maybe I'll change to amsoil then. Thinking OEM interval with amsoil.

I'd change it early the first time.. a large amount of the wear is during break in over first 10k miles.

the 09G Tiptronic tranny requires G 055 025 A2 ... you don't have too many aftermarket options.

I believe G055 superceded G 052 025 A2 (which Pentosin ATF-1 would have been a suitable option)

Last edited:
These transmissions don't have a large capacity. I'd stick with the synthetic G 055 025 A2.

I think it's three liters to change the fluid (drop the pan), or around eight liters if you want to use the cooler line method. Total capacity is around six liters.

http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=J1D2108%2DB

the 09G is a Aisin tranny...

Fuchs recommends its Titan ATF 4400

Thanks. The Fuchs is about $12, which is not terrible. I have seen oem as high as $28. What kills me is that it appears to be the same/compatible with 3309, but VW is synthetic. Price is hugely different though.

Oh well...

I would never use conventional where synthetic is specified.
There are multi vehicle fluids that cover 3309 and T-IV, use one of those.

i recently did my girlfriends jetta, saved her $$$$ on a warm summer day tranny is almost at recommended temp, checked with vag com. i found the plug on top of tranny instead of the adapter, much easier, level car fill till it runs out, run thru gears check in N i believe engine running, great info on vwvortex.com with links and pics

VW #G055025A2 is the correct stuff, I believe. $18/qt online and $25/qt locally. 6 quarts is $$$$.

The 09G is VW's name for the Aisin TF-60SN. If JWS3309 is spec'd as an alternative, then you can bet the VW fluid is just rebranded 3309. The fluid is also known as Toyota T-IV, and can be had easily and at reasonable cost from a Toyota dealership. Locally, I see around $7 a quart, but I've heard in some parts of the US, as low as $4.50 a quart. 3309 is harder to find.

Mobil makes 99% of this fluid sold in North America. http://www.imperialoil.ca/Canada-English/Files/Products_Lubes/IOCAENCVLMOMobil_Super_ATF_3309.pdf

Volkswagen spec G-055-025-A2 is the same as JWS3309 and Toyota T-IV. Ford, Volvo, GM, Mazda and others have this same fluid rebranded as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back