Need oil recommendations - 2012 Subaru Forester XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I need some help choosing an oil to use in a new vehicle. Per the sticky, here's my info...

1. 2012 Subaru Forester turbo
2. Gotta check the manual, not sure at the moment but think it's 10W30
3. I live in a warm tropical climate
4. I would say I'm a moderate driver, generally easy on vehicles but like to get on it occasionally
5. Short drives, typically the longest drive is about 15 miles one way per day, fair amount of stop and go traffic, fair amount of short trips (less than 3 miles)
6. Vehicle purchased new a few months ago
7. Prefer a store bought oil rather than having to mail order. I don't mind frequent oil changes and have no desire to extend change intervals. I do always get my oil analyzed though.

I'm at around 1200 miles on the odometer now and am wanting to change out the oil asap. I have no preference at the moment for dino or synthetic. Probably leaning towards dino since I don't mind changing oil frequently. I don't believe the manual specifies synthetic but will double check.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Depends on the price, any major brand should be just fine. I prefer Valvoline, SOPUS, or M1 products simply because I use them with no problems.

I do not have a 2012 Suby manual but, Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 has the approval of Honda/Acura. Mobil1 meets the same spec. I definitely would run a good synthetic in the viscosity specified in the owners manual and would follow the OCI recommended. A great vehicle these Subaru's and I really like the Forester XT.

Hey howzit?

Your FXT is spec'd for SM/SN 5W-30 and requires synthetic oil. As a first choice, I would recommend Motul X-clean 5W-30. It's SM, has a good bit of zinc, and meets Euro ACEA A3 requirements for shear stability. There's a recent WRX uoa on it in the uoa forum.

If you browse the forums, you'll see that most Subie turbo owner's prefer oils that are more robust than Resource Conserving 5W-30's (myself included). Rotella T6 5W-40 is really popular. There are actually a few uoa's on RC oils (Pennzoil, Mobil1 5W-30), including a recent one from a WRX, but you won't find more than a few. Most importantly, check your oil level regularly.

Don't be in a rush to change the factory fill. It is actually a bit more robust, with higher levels of moly, zinc, and phosporus than typical oils.

-Dennis
Currently listening to KPOI on TuneIn.
smile.gif

Hi guys,

Thanks very much for the replies! I have always strayed away from Mobil 1 oils...not sure why, but probably because of something I read here years ago. In any case, I ended up buying a box of M1 5W-30 full synthetic from Costco. It was cheap so I hope I don't regret it.

I really would prefer to use something "better" but a lot of stuff is somewhat hard to find locally. I did see Motul here once but can't remember where...then again, they probably don't keep a good supply on hand.

Dennis,
The Rotella you've mentioned, is that a diesel oil?

Anyway, I think I'm nearing 1800 miles on the car now so may wait a little bit more before the first oil change. Then probably run the M1 for a relatively short interval while I try and find something better.
smile.gif

Last edited:
It would be specced up for an energy conserving 5w30 in the UK I think.

Subaru are the only car maker I have ever bought new in recents times that still do a short OCI after run in. From memory it is 1000miles.

Don't put dino/conventional in any Subaru with or without a turbo. And follow light throttle warm up and let the turbo cool for a while when you get to your destination to let the oil circulate.

Loads of high mileage Subarus with Turbos in the UK still on the original Turbos. Probably due to main deAlers never putting in anything less than a quality semi synth but in my experience they offered to use full synth at a small additional cost.

You can get good oil spec info from Opieoils.

A quick search on Shell Lubematch shows the best choice to be Pennzoil Ultra 5w30. Or basic spec of Pennzoil 5w30.

Last edited:
"Don't put dino/conventional in any Subaru with or without a turbo..."

This has to be one of the most uninformed recommendations I think I've ever seen to date.

It is just, flat wrong, with the possible exception of one or two of the latest variations which factory spec a synthetic 0- or 5W-20.

Just plain drivel, IMHO.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back