Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using right now Castrol Syntec 5w-20.I've used in the past Mobil 1.Are they both even in performance or does one have a better additive package?Thanks Joe

Both are excellent oils. This will turn into nothing more than a popularity contest so Mobil 1 will win by a landslide. In your engine? Highly debatable, so it comes down to what you've liked best. Have you noticed any differences so as to develop a preference or run any UOA's?

According to Pennzoil, Mobil cleans better than Castrol
wink.gif

According to my sources,M1 wears out cams and burns at a high rate in some cars... Castrol is WAAAAYYYY better heck, look at the uoas compiled M1 is far at best

Syntec is about as popular on this site as herpes.
I've used Syntec in the past, and have some stashed that I'll use in something at some point, but between the two brands, I'd select M1 0W-20 over Syntec 5W-20.
There are solid UOAs in that forum with the M1, not so much with Syntec.

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
According to my sources,M1 wears out cams and burns at a high rate in some cars... Castrol is WAAAAYYYY better heck, look at the uoas compiled M1 is far at best

Your "sources"? Dude, your information couldn't stand on its own if you bought it legs.

Newsflash: Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, GM, Honda as well as the SRT line from Chrysler all use Mobil 1. They all work with ExxonMobil to develop lubricants and they all perform EXTENSIVE testing with Mobil lubricants for durability, performance and the ability to protect at the extremes.

You have no way to ever, EVER test a lubricant as completely as these folks do.

Doug Hillary put MILLIONS of Km's on Delvac 1 at extended drain intervals and even provided tear down pictures of its performance in high stress OTR diesel applications.

BMW has a working relationship with Castrol. But I run Mobil 1 0w40 in my M5. Why? Because:

A) Doug told me to, and I hold Doug's opinion in the highest regard.
B) It meets the specifications for my car (BMW LL-01)
C) I've had 15 years of experience with Mobil 1 in a wide array of applications and it has always provided me with a clean, wear-free engine, no matter how had it was beat on. This includes a 425HP Ford Y-Block in a 1931 Chris-Craft.

-You have no data.
-You have no facts.

You have anecdotes and bias, which you express in a manner that is far from anything anybody would consider "convincing".

According to my sources,M1 wears out cams and burns at a high rate in some cars...

So does royal purple......

dont know if it is just the mobil 1 i use or just modern oils but when i tore down the engine in my 1992 dodge stealth with 135000 miles it has no ridge. i remember years ago you had to have a ridge reamer to get the pistons out.

i like mobil 1, and ive only used castrol a couple times. it was gtx and it seemed good, i like that it got dark quick,it at least made me think it cleaned well. who knows. but the new edge with titanium interests me. ive been impressed with mobil's super line that uses titanium. id say both will serve you well. most will prefer M1. Ive had good luck with M1, i however do not have any doubts that castrol syntec or Edge aren't just as good.

Im going to start running Castrol 0w30.. I may or may not go back to the RP, Volk I'm loyal to an oil..really

Shoot, use PU or Redline, Valvoline, QS or Amsoil. Mobil has "dropped the ball" and has yet to recover the fumble.

Shoot, use PU or Redline, Valvoline, QS or Amsoil. Mobil has "dropped the ball" and has yet to recover the fumble.

Trolling-jamie38459-17275155-492-454.jpg

Im going to start running Castrol 0w30.. I may or may not go back to the RP, Volk I'm loyal to an oil..really

Syntec 0w30 is on my list of oils to try, and I would definitely choose it over RP.

Keep-Trolling-Johnny-Walker.jpg

Mobil has "dropped the ball" and has yet to recover the fumble.

You mean "drop the ball" as in having the largest market share of full synthetic oils and being the #1 selling synthetic on the market... I'd say touchdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back