97 New Holland 1925, 16hrs Ambra 15w40, 1120hrs

Status
Not open for further replies.
1997 New Holland 1925 tractor with a Shibaura 1.5L 3-Cylinder Diesel engine. This tractor didn't see much use in the past year, this was it's annual oil change. I do expect to see higher hour usage in the future, and will recommend they sample the oil prior to changing in the future.

Code:

OIL Ambra MasterGold 15w40

HOURS IN USE 16

HOURS 1120

SAMPLE TAKEN 10/6/12

MAKE UP OIL 0

IRON 4

CHROMIUM 0

NICKEL 0

ALUMINUM 0

COPPER 1

LEAD 0

TIN 0

CADMIUM 0

SILVER 0

VANADIUM 0

SILICON 10

SODIUM 0

POTASSIUM 2

TITANIUM 0

MOLYBDENUM 112

ANTIMONY 25

MANGANESE 0

LITHIUM 0

BORON 180

MAGNESIUM 80

CALCIUM 3794

BARIUM 0

PHOSPHORUS 1341

ZINC 1664

% FUEL
SOOT
WATER
Viscosity 100C 14.3

TBN 11.3

OXIDATION 10

NITRATION 4

Ambra is the name of new holland's oil they sell/recommend. You can pick it up at any new holland tractor dealer.

There are guys buying new oil that isn't in as good as shape as what was dumped here!!!!!!!!!!!

In the future I would UOA first, then decide at what point you should change. The oil has no idea how long it has been the crankcase, as shown by your UOA.

Yes - I get it. I see the mantra here; run a fixed exposure; test. Then extend a bit and test again. Repeat and extend a bit further, right? In some manner I understand. The plan is to safely extend a little bit at a time.

I'm not going to engage it on the matter of dumping oil too early; that's obvious, and you acknowledged it. I think I'm correct in saying that this wasn't your choice; just your actions; is that right? You (dhellman12) have posted a LOT of UOAs over the last two years, and I'd think I see the pattern developing. I'm not saying this to pick on you. I also realize a lot of these are not your personal equipment, too. Seriously, I'm not saying this to pick on you; rather I'm trying to understand the greater picture here. What is your function when you're engaged in these UOAs? Do you do the maintenance on a large farm/ranch? You have access to a lot of equipment, and that is my presumption. I'm not saying this to taunt or tease; it would just help me understand. Are you being forced into OCIs, being instructed to do so against common sense? Perhaps you could fill us in on your function in these UOAs and then we'd have more ability to understand. I, as much as anyone else (maybe moreso), become aggitated when I see such waste. I need to keep in mind that it may not be by your choice. But it would be helpful if you'd explain a bit more up front.

The UOA itself above is obviously good to go; after 16 hours, no one would expect otherwise. Good oil down the drain followed by a UOA that proved it to be nothing more than what anyone would have expected; ultra low wear from ultra low exposure. Wasted oil followed by a wasted UOA. That oil was so clean it bordered on a VOA.

While not important to this UOA, I'm going to relate something that might show how I can "put my money where my mouth is".
This year, we had a DRY year. So, the hours on my Kubota and my Scag and my Dmax are all very low. (Very little mowing and the hay harvesting was practically non-existent). I'm not going to OCI any of them, and instead run all the way into fall next year. I run dino Rotella 10w-30 in all of them. I don't need a UOA to tell me it's the right thing to do; I just use my common sense and the data I've seen elsewhere to make a reasonable decision. I did UOA my Dmax this fall, but not to prove it to myself; I did it to prove it to OTHER people that the practice is sound. So perhaps that is your path? You did this to purposely show it's a waste to not extend in this circumstance?

Last edited:
Personally I own two of the vehicles I post results on (see sig). Most are friends or family whom I am trying to educate on oci's. most have their own opinion on brands, frequency, etc. mainly for me the first oci shows engine health more than oil health, but also shows them how their program is or is not working.

I'll add that some I can influence prior to oil analysis, others (see above) need to see the results before they will be convinced to alter their maintenance program.

OK - that helps understand somewhat.

You may or may not be aware, but wear rates are actually higher towards the front of an OCI. Wear rates actually decline the more the oil has been in use, and that phenomenon exsits for much, much longer than people realize. This is borne out in UOA evidence, and has been twice proven in SAE studies by Ford/Connoco.

Changing oil at 16 hours after a year is not only a waste of oil, but it actually is a self-defeating practice that is creating a condition (accelerated wear) one is trying to avoid.

I have an article with specifics forthcoming.

FL Viscosity Oil Company makes the Ambra oil for new holland.

We use this oil at the farm I work at. Its still CI-4 rated as far as I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back