Minor Tire Rot or cause for concern?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 Mazda 3 with Michelin Pilot Exalto tires. Tires were bought in '06 after the oem were replaced, they were produced in the 19th week of 2006 so about 6.5 years old at this point. I have noticed the dry rot getting worse as of late, so wanted to snap some pictures and see what everyone thought.

The tire in the first three photo's has a small leak (1psi a week), while all the others are always solid. I plan to keep the car till the wheels fall off, only at 95k right now. There is still enough tread left on them. Just wanted opinions, would you dump them of ride them another year (5-10k) and then get fresh tires? Thank you for any responses.

dsc02428t.jpg

dsc02429a.jpg

dsc02430oks.jpg

dsc02431l.jpg

dsc02433uz.jpg
dsc02437y.jpg

Those look great.

Macro photography and harsh lighting would make a lady's skin look just as awful.

If you were to unmount those tires the insides would look perfect, and that's what holds the air in.

I'd be price shopping for a new (or slightly used) set of tires soon, especially before winter. In the first picture it looks like the tread wear indicator on the far right is sticking up more than the one on the far left.. may have a slight miss- alignment, but doesn't look bad enough to get an alignment in my opinion. You can also see it in the 2nd pic, the tread on the far left is worn through the middle of that tread line. I've seen tires in worse conditions than this one, but the general rule is anything with less than 3- 3/2nds of an inch is pretty much toast.

Last edited:
They look as if they are nearing the end of life, but are not yet there.

The tire's strength is in the belts, not the rubber. The rubber just protects the belts, seals the holes, and provides a gripping wear surface. As soon as you see fibers through the cracks, the tire is done.

Did these tires sit unused for long period, or experience high heat early in their life? Either use can affect the redistribution of wax-like compounds that protect the surface rubber from oxidation.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Around town fine. I wouldnt drive a lot of highway with those. Personally id get new tires before the snow flies

Ed Zachary!
Those tires will not grip and snowy or icy conditions very well at all.

I'd get a some new tires, it's cheap insurance

If you take them back to the place you bought them, they may be willing to give an allowance on a new set of Michelins. Discount Tire did this for me on an even older set of Yokahamas. Michelin's warranty is 6 years from the date of purchase, so this may be worth pursuing. Dry rot shouldn't set in this early.

If the dry rot is also evident in the sidewalls, I'd be reluctant to do much highway driving.

Even without the cracking, these tires look pretty well done.
I'd certainly replace them before the end of November, since I doubt they'd be a treat to drive in snow.
They're worn enough that they should be at least a little exciting in the wet.
How many miles have you used them?
The Pilot Exalto was Michelin's entry level performance tire and I don't think it was noted for long tread life.

my michelins on my truck had sidwall cracks start like 3 years ago and still have the same tires with 50,000 miles on them.

I think a lot depends upon who is driving it, how it is being
driven, driving conditions and what the spare looks like.
I wouldn't put my kid/wife/girlfriend in a car with those tires
nor I wouldn't want to depend on them during a road trip in poor
road conditions.
However, for driving just myself back and forth to work or the
store they look OK for awhile.

Keith

Oh yeah they'd be terrible in the snow. If they had sipes they'd be gone now because they often cut them halfway down.

I was thinking you had snow tires.

On a mazda 3 with its aggressive alignment (for sporty handling) I'd wear tires out because the car wears tires out. Except for winter.

Originally Posted By: djb
Did these tires sit unused for long period, or experience high heat early in their life? Either use can affect the redistribution of wax-like compounds that protect the surface rubber from oxidation.

They did sit idle early in life, as the car was at my home while I was away at school for a year. The next year it was driven sparingly, maybe once a week. Great info, thanks for all the replies and opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back