STP Smoke Treatment...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't been around in awhile, but I do have a question that hopefully you guys here can help me out with...

-

"REDUCES EXHAUST SMOKING

USE EVERY OIL CHANGE

Oil burning and exhaust smoking occurs when motor oil enters the combustion chamber and is burned along with fuel. This condition, known as oil blow-by, often results when friction and metal-to-metal contact have worn parts and created gaps between the cylinder walls, piston rings and valve guide seals.

STP® Smoke Treatment provides a thicker oil cushion to help:

* Reduce oil consumption and smoking
* Decrease metal-to-metal contact
* Cushion noisy valves and lifters

DIRECTIONS: Add one bottle STP® Smoke Treatment at or between oil changes. Mix with regular and synthetic motor oils. Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back."

What's in this stuff that reduces smoke?

Notice is says "satisfaction guaranteed or your money back"! Hmmm....

this product is for a last resort obviously significant use and wear has already occured and this only prolongs the inevitable which is engine failure it contains a high viscosity index and i believe it also has a tachifier in it to help make things nice and sticky infact thats LUCAS's only claim to fame TACHOFIER does nothing but stick thats where the term motorhoney came from unless your car is ready to quit or close use it to sell it and move on other wise invest in a new engine and use a high quality additive from the begining and you want have a problem that you would consider using this

Back in the olden daze when STP was fairly new, you could get the same results by just switching to thicker oil. Just use the cheapest 40 or 50 weight you can find if you are trying to get a few more miles out of a dying engine. No need to line the STP peddlers pockets with your money.

Straight STP does make one of the best MC chain lubes there is though. In the early 1970s when I used in ton MC chains, it far outperformed any of the commercial chain lubes. The trick was to apply the right amount to the right places so it didn't cover the rear of the bike and rider with the goop.

not this product but some of stps oil treatments are now formulated in all or most brands of motor oil zddp is found in most oils these days its a great antiwear but the government hates metals cause of the enviromental effects and emmisions i have no doubt that it works on some stuff but get real like you said add a thick oil to fix the problem instead of stp but on the other hand some of these thicker oils are hard to come by and sometimes just as much if not more than the stp in cost

The reason I'm considering this is that my 'ol Chevy pickup is "blue smoking" pretty good on startup because of bad valve seals. I don't feel like replacing them though as even in it's current state, the engine will outlast the rest of the truck.

Going to a thicker oil did greatly reduce overall engine consumption, but I still had blue smoke (on startup)...

Now, not to brag or anything, but my truck has endured a very hard life and is showing it's age, but it still gets me from point A to B with minimal fuss, although not in maximum comfort (loud, no A/C, rough riding, etc, etc, etc...).

Basically, I'm just looking to reduce startup blue smoke, and this product says it'll do it.

The blue smoke on startup happens because oil slowly seeps past the valve seals, into the combustion chamber. That'll happen no matter how thick the oil is. You're better off living with the problem.

quote:

Originally posted by Matt_S:
The blue smoke on startup happens because oil slowly seeps past the valve seals, into the combustion chamber. That'll happen no matter how thick the oil is. You're better off living with the problem.

Right, I know and understand what is causing this condition.

BUT, how does this product reduce exhaust smoking though? Just extremely thick, or does it contain something else?

Put some in your truck. When your truck keeps smoking just like it always has, go get your money back.

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:

quote:

Originally posted by Matt_S:

Right, I know and understand what is causing this condition.

BUT, how does this product reduce exhaust smoking though? Just extremely thick, or does it contain something else?

All it does is thicken the oil to supposedly help slow any seepage past rings or valve seals. It doesn't really work, though, at least not well.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
This product simply increases the moly and ZDDP levels in the engine oil. Does not thicken oil.

Yep, I dumped 12 oz Maxlife Engine Protector into my engine and there was absolutely no change in the oil pressure.

For those who can't afford a Boutique engine supplement, the Maxlife Engine Protector WAS a good deal at $2.94.

For those of you needing a thicker oil for "smokers," I highly recommend you go with an HDEO oil and forget about the Stop-Smoke type products.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
For those who can't afford a Boutique engine supplement, the Maxlife Engine Protector WAS a good deal at $2.94.

The sale is over, aye? Too bad. But hey, you can get the Synpower Oil Treatment for a buck more and I hear it is even better. Spec sheet says 0.270 % zinc.

Jelly, what about Auto-Rx to recondition the valve seals? Or is your engine beyond that?

quote:

What's in this stuff that reduces smoke?

What's in here is a high molecular weight (Very high viscosity) fluid made of Olefin copolymers.

This fluid is only suitable for engines that smoke, i.e., engines that have severely worn rings and valve guides.

What it does is severely thicken your oil so the oil doesn't try to get past worn rings and valve guides and into the combustion chamber.

Or would this stuff work better:
http://www.rislone.com/ringseal.htm

"Rislone Ring Seal contains high-shear polymers which provide a seal for worn pistons and rings to help regain lost compression. One bottle of Rislone Ring Seal increases viscosity, helping to prevent blow-by gases from fouling the crankcase oil and oil from leaking past the rights into the combustion chamber."

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:

"Rislone Ring Seal contains high-shear polymers which provide a seal for worn pistons and rings to help regain lost compression. One bottle of Rislone Ring Seal increases viscosity, helping to prevent blow-by gases from fouling the crankcase oil and oil from leaking past the rights into the combustion chamber."

The difference, if you will, is that the STP product is "for" exhaust smoking and says that it'll reduce valve guide seal leakage, which the Rislone or other products do not...

[ August 16, 2004, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Justin ]

quote:

Basically the same stuff.

These products are a very, very, temporary fix at best.

The best use I have found for these products is on the axles of wood carts, where there is a naked steel shaft contacting an internal sleeve-type wheel bearing; the clearances are on the order of 0.010" of an inch.
lol.gif

[ August 16, 2004, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

So Mola, what about this stuff?

-

Several on here seem to speak highly of it...

What concerns me though is that this product (as well as the Rislone one) make no mention of exhaust smoking and valve guide seals, which the STP product does...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back