2006 Ford Escape auto trans fluid change questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Is the filter not changeable without trans disassembly? It does not seem to have a traditional pan to remove.

2. Towards the rear of the auto transaxle, there is a plug, is this an trans fluid drain plug? If so how much will come out?

3. If I can only flush it out by removing a cooler line and running it while pouring fluid in and not changing the filter, would you recommend addding a magnafine in line filter to the hoses when connecting them back up?

Thanks in advance!

There should be a plug. No trans filter. In our '03, about 4 quarts comes out, just refill through the dipstick the same amount. I do a drain and fill once a year the last couple of years, to try to get most of the old junk out. Ours is 4x4.

I removed the plug, ATF for sure. Then, I removed the splash guard to flush through the return line and there it was, the pan sits vertical on the front of the transmission. There is a filter, I bought one but decided not to remove the pan because the bolts on the top of the pan could have been problematic to remove/install since you cannot even see them. I disconnected the transmission return line from the coolers and ran a hose into the drain pan, ran the engine while dumping ATF in, ran it like that till the fluid was nice and red. Took about 10 quarts or so. It's all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back