e46 BMW rear wheel bearing nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.
The car is a 2002 BM@ 325Ci.

So I've been getting more and more annoyed with the wup wup wup noise coming from my rear end. The other day I jacked up the rear of the car, disabled the DSC, and ran it up to about 25 mph. I could clearly hear noise coming from the left-rear bearing even unloaded. The dealership was nice enough to have changed the rr bearing before I bought it.

So today I start to disassemble the rear. It's a 10 year old MN car with 160,000 miles so I was expecting some difficulty, but I've never had problems like this.

I'm trying to remove the half-shaft out of the splined flange. It's almost exactly like most FWD cars. The other end is disconnected from the diff, the bolt is off the axle, so there is nothing left holding the splined shaft in the flange other than rust.

Skipping ahead a bit, I've got an 8" 3-jaw puller on the flange with the bolt pressing the axle in. I fully expected it to work.

What's happened so far is that I've snapped the bolt off the puller after applying all my weight on about 30" of extensions. Now the puller is stuck on the hub with all that tension. I tried bashing the sheet out of the bolt with a 4# hammer, hoping the combination of tension from the puller would work with the hammer blows to move the shaft. No luck.

Even swinging with a 20# sledge on what's left of my puller, I'm not doing anything more than starting to bend the puller's center bolt.

I can probably get the puller off if I hammer off one of the legs. Hopefully it won't fly up and kill me. I'm leaving it set up overnight, hoping that maybe a few tons of force and penetrating oil might do something.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what I can do. I can put back together and pay someone else to deal with it. I could try to keep the alignment by marking the bolts and undoing the whole darned hub and finding a press.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I haven't gotten to the bearing yet.

Dude! This is a job for Kroil! Spray it and wait a day, then take everything apart nicely.

That said, if you need to get this done a little quicker:
-Cut the puller off.
-Spray some Kroil in there.
-Put the axle nut back on, but add two greased up washers before the nut.
-Crank the [censored] out of that nut. Put it on with a minimum of 1000 ft lbs. or so to stretch the axle stub. 1200 ft. lbs. would be better.
-Smack the hub a bit with a heavy hammer.
-Remove the nut and washers.
-Use a pneumatic hammer to push the axle out. The axle is garbage now, but it's out. If the axle looks okay and still fits, that doesn't mean it's still good. It may loosen up on you and kill a bearing.
-If it isn't out, have an assistant heat the hub with an acetylene torch with the flame set to "mighty big and godawful hot" setting while you push the axle out. The axle and bearing are both scrap now, but the axle is out.

Last edited:
I think I have the TIS open in another tab. Is it showing the special tool that uses the lug studs?

I'd love to use some heat but the only thing I have is propane... not quite hot enough to be of much use.

Not sure I have anything around that can generate 1200 ft/lbs!

And the safest way to get the puller off is probably just to grab the threads of the puller with a pipe wrench... should get enough grip to loosen it.

The bolt snapped off at I'd guess around 700 ft of torque. That could be a lot of tension that I don't want to suddenly release in an uncontrolled way.

Originally Posted By: antonmnster
I think I have the TIS open in another tab. Is it showing the special tool that uses the lug studs?

I'd love to use some heat but the only thing I have is propane... not quite hot enough to be of much use.

Yup, that'd be it. They show 3x special tools:

-33 2 111
-33 2 116
-33 2 117

Which make up the press-out tool.

I saw a quote for the kit as 95 euros on Google.... so it isn't all that cheap
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: antonmnster

That's the number I aim for, but failing that, tight as you can get it with the longest available pipe, jack handle, etc. The tighter you can go with the axle nut, the better your chances of getting some decent stretch. Once it stretches it's no longer frozen, just a little stuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back