mystery oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Im a new guy here. My question is Marvel Mystery oil. What is this stuff? I been putting aabout 6 oz in with every 15-16 galls of gas. Is it good stuff? Smells kind of funny and looks like milspec hydraulic fluid we used to use in the c-130. Thanks

I like MMO. I will do two or three quick oil changes over a couple months with a small bottle of MMO added to the oil to clean things up a bit. If I plan to park a car for an extended period, I'll throw some in the fuel tank and run the car before I park it. Then I will squirt a little down each plug hole. Did this to a 57 Chevy 210 that parked for two years and it started within three starter rotations. Car ran perfect. I have used it in my tank if I get some bad gas and it always made the car run better right after. I use it as after run on my nitro RC cars. I also use it to unstuck rusted bolts. I soak motorcycle chains in ot to clean them up.

I've never used it in a car or truck, but I have let stuck tractor engines soak in it for a while and it has great results freeing them up.

i have used the stuff in a '46 willys that sat up for 1 year... i poured nearly half a bottle in the oil and also added about 3 ozs in each plug hole....

boy did it smoke after that when she cranked up...... i was a happy man too... since i thought the engine was seized since water was in the oil....

as for my '92 jeep cherokee with now 175k miles on it.... I used a whole bottle 32ozs i think it was a few oil changes ago... and more now the engine is much quieter than it has ever been since i have had it.....hence me added the MMO to the crankcase....

i give it 2 thumbs up for cleaning up engines..... old and new....

I've been adding 4oz to every tank full since I purchased my car new, in Dec 1994.

It is a Saturn SL2:
** One VERY HAPPY person, with my manual radiator fan switch, Thanks to Wolf's guidance ** 95 SL2, 386,600 Miles..... 40.35 MPG (10 Tank Full Avg) as of Aug 13, '04. Quaker State 10w-40 Oil, using 1 qt / 1,000 miles
patriot.gif

Gee Luke,

What no synthetic? Quaker State? I've read comments from people knocking QS for years saying it causes sludge, maybe its all superstition and myth? Do you have one of those magic toilet paper filters? Have you experienced the need to purge your engines insides of "toxic buildups" yet? Nah, probably just drove it sensibly and serviced it regularly? Congrats on your good value and service form your Saturn.

My $0.02

I like MMO in terms of use in gas, however I'm not sure I would try it in oil for any reasonable amount of time.

It seems like 2-3 times a year I start getting a light pinging on 87 octane. I credit this to the fact I make mostly short trips to work and rarely get out on the highway. When this happens I run 1 tank of 89 with 6oz of MMO and the pinging disappears on subsequent tanks of 87. Call it my imagination, dreaming, ect. But to me it seems to do the job, so it's worth the buck and change twice a year.

EDIT: The only downside I've noticed is one time the MMO sank to the bottom of the tank and I got a blue puff of smoke on startup. Only happend once and probably because It had been in there for about 3 weeks.

I run MMO religiously in the fuel tanks of all
my vehicles and the boat. It cleans fuel injectors and when it burns it leaves a lubricating reside not carbon. I had a motor apart once that I had used MMO in the fuel and you wouldn't believe how clean it keeps a motor

quote:

Fm Herky Jim
I've read comments from people knocking QS for years saying it causes sludge, maybe its all superstition and myth? Do you have one of those magic toilet paper filters? Have you experienced the need to purge your engines insides of "toxic buildups" yet? Nah, probably just drove it sensibly and serviced it regularly?

You've got the picture -- plan & simple....
grin.gif

MMO is extremely popular with small aircraft owners - many of piston aircraft engines have problems with sticking rings, and they are extremely expensive to overhaul. So even though MMO isn't approved for aviation use, many pilots use it, with apparently good results.

I have one "miracle cure" story regarding MMO. I was mowing with my 8N tractor a few years ago, which had been sitting all winter. It would barely pull the mower - the small swale at the bottom of the field, where I occasionally have to shift down one gear from top, I had to put it into first. Mowed for a couple hours and finally gave up. Got remembered how I'd been reading about MMO is AVIATION CONSUMER (who BTW had a complete analysis done on it - basically highly refined solvent oil, so dumped a quart into the sump, minus a few ounces for the gas, and started mowing again - it was amazing, with each circuit of the field the tractor gained power. After the first circuit I was taking the grade in 2nd, and after two more, in high. Now you can say the tractor had been sitting, and would have normally taken a while to run itself clean, but it was interesting that I had been mowing for a few hours with no change at all, and the change happened immediately and quickly after adding the MMO.

I think MMO is at it's best on sticking rings and valves, but when it is indicated, it is very, very useful stuff.

Never thought about small airplane engines. I used to own a Piper PA-16 and a Stinson 108-2. I know about fixing airplane prices! Wonder what the FAA and Lycoming would think about MM in these engines?

quote:

Now you can say the tractor had been sitting, and would have normally taken a while to run itself clean, but it was interesting that I had been mowing for a few hours with no change at all, and the change happened immediately and quickly after adding the MMO.

i think it was b/c the oil viscosity was thinned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back