ACDelco Cleens instead of GM Top Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

New

Hi,

I went to a GM dealer to get some Top Engine Cleaner. But the guys at the parts shop had no recolection of ever having it. They offered me ACDelco Cleens instead. Reading the instructions it is to be used the same way as GM Top Cleaner or Sea Foam.
The question is: is it as good ?

tia

Thanks for the info.
smile.gif

A bud who's a GM mechanic told me the gm stuff was chevron. here's a clip from his email:

"""What are you trying to do with the top end cleaner????

Personally, I hrdly ever use it.....We used it when bullitens told us to use it, that's it........

I prefer Chevron Techron Fuel systm cleaner.......GM sells it under there own Nameplate as GM fuel system cleaner......

The top end cleaner is different, Gm wanted use to use it t try to get rid of acold start knock......it is justa band aid.....Nothing wil get rid of the cold start knock, and who the heck cares!!!!!!! the knok causes NO PRFORMANCE or LONGEVITY issues.....Just live with the knock......it does absolutly nothing but maybe annoy you.... """"

If you read some of the car buff magazines you will see that the GM top engine cleaner is the favorite. I also can vouch for it. I used it to clean the top end of an old Jeep 258 six that had not responded to the carb cleaner or water injection methods of decarbonizing. I used this stuff and the amount of white smoke pouring out the tail pipes was so thick I couldn't see the house! Trick is to slowly pour the first 1/2 bottle in while keeping about 1000rpms. Then slowly pour it in faster to stall the motor. The can says to let it set for about 15-30 minutes (as I recall). I let it set for 4 hours, some even suggest overnight. Then start the car and blow the junk out. I could not believe the differnce in how this motor ran after that. Gone was the clicking noise, knock and the idle was smoother with more power. Really works. I actually use this on my 87 Grand National and other cars once a year to keep her clean.

One note-- you should always change the oil right after doing this since the oil will be contaminated - I also change the plugs too since they sometimes foul.

Just my 2 cents....

GM recommends using it with a fuel injection cleaning machine to keep the poppet nozzles on the Vortec engines clean. I remember reading the instructions on a website somewhere on how to do it, but I can't for the life of me remember where it was.

I'd think if it worked on a Vortec CPFI system, it should work on just about anything. You're supposed to mix it a couple ounces in with gasoline and run it thru GM's special injector cleaning device.

I've used it on the 3800 Series II engines, but due to the design of the upper intake plenum, most of it ends up in puddles down in the bottom of the lower manifold, as the runners are towards the top of the plenum, and not much gets sucked down them. I'm still trying to develop a more effective way of performing the cleaning on these cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back