Deep Cycle Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a new 12v battery for my travel trailer. I can use group 24-31. I'm looking at a super start marine model 31dcm at oreillys for $89. reserve capacity is 210min . reserve capacity at 23 amps is 225 min. Does this sound like a decent battery for the money? I have little experience with deep cycle battery brands or specs.

the price is competitive, the capacity is more or less in the hunt. I don't think you are buying a high-end battery here, actually probably lower-end. with deep cycle, that basically impacts longevity and durability. If you are someone pretty meticulous for caring for them, keeping them charged, etc., you might seek out a better unit. If you aren't meticulous in battery care, it's probably the one to get--- it'll be done in 2-3 years and you can buy another.

It looks like the oreilly battery is identical to the east penn deka Marine master Deep cycle battery. I bought this tonight. Man is it heavy. About 60lbs. I'll give it a slow 2 amp top up charge and install it in the camper tomorrow.

Deka was one of the better deep cycle batteries I've gotten.

Most 12v deep cycles are just really hybrid batteries.

Generally if they include all three terms RV/Marine/DeepCycle, they are hybrids. Real deep cycles are ~30% more expensive and a few pounds heavier for the same size and usually will not list CCA ratings.

Consider getting yourself a glass hydrometer and record the readings when new, then on subsequent recharges down the road you can see if your charger is actually fully recharging them or not.

I have what I thought were 2 very high Quality deep cycles made by Crown. Their performance has dropped off significantly after topping them up with distilled water, fully recharging them, and then doing an equilization cycle on them. I cannot get the specific Gravity up even close to what they read when new, and these batteries are not old, have not been cycled much at all, and always promptly recharged.
Not very happy right now. Hopefully the seller honors the warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back