strange oil color in a ninja 250

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive changed the oil in my Ninja 250 a few times and the oil color is sooo strange. The best way to describe it is a glass of chocolate milk. Ive seen this 3 times now and not that Im worried about it in the slightest but has anyone else seen this strange dilluted color in their oil? Im used to clean amberish and black, not chocolate milk brown. Ive done 3 OCI's at a thousand miles apiece on my new ninja, all the same.

Seems strange, Is your Ninja water cooled? If so how is the coolant level. Do you change immediately after a ride? Is it possible the oil is foamed badly, what does the oil look like after it sits for an hour?

^
The Ninja 250 is water cooled and the coolant level is perfect. I do change it immediately after a warm up ride and the oil has the same color after its been sitting. I dont even know what to think about it but my bike runs excellent so..... ya. I dont know anyone else who owns a Ninja 250 to ask lol.

When I used Redline oil in my !echo! the oil was chocolate pudding color, not the blackish skin color when you cook the pudding in a pan and let it cool, but the color underneath that. Instant pudding really should be banned.

Originally Posted By: Loobed

Condensation.

Exactly - chocolate milkshake is a water-oil emulsion...so, if the water is not from the cooling system leaking into the oil, then it's got to be from condensation...let me guess: short trips? Lots of time not being ridden?

It has to be moisture from somewhere. If you are certain you aren't losing coolant, then condensation is the next likely suspect. But in 45 years of riding, over dozens of bikes, I've never seen milkshake colored oil when I drain and change.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: Loobed

Condensation.

Exactly - chocolate milkshake is a water-oil emulsion...so, if the water is not from the cooling system leaking into the oil, then it's got to be from condensation...let me guess: short trips? Lots of time not being ridden?
I dont like to waste the time to warm it up and put the gear on for short trips. If I ride its at least a 20min ride to work and I do a group ride all day every monday.

I have seen the milkshake color once. My virago would do that after storage in winter from condensation. Depending on the amount of condensation it would look like a milkshake or a latte.

It is why I always dump oil in spring. Wish I had a heated garage so I didnt have to.

Do you have some pictures of the oil color? Perhaps we are picturing one color of brown, when the oil is just a slight tint...?

How are you viewing the oil color, as well? In a clear container of some sort? Just as it flows out? What does it look like if you put a bit onto a paper towel? Can you easily get some out? If I remember correctly, the new Ninja 250s don't have dipsticks (I know the old ones don't).

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I have seen the milkshake color once. My virago would do that after storage in winter from condensation. Depending on the amount of condensation it would look like a milkshake or a latte.

It is why I always dump oil in spring. Wish I had a heated garage so I didnt have to.

How cold does your garage get?

I store the 500 in an attached but unheated garage over winter, and have never seen such a thing happen.

Ive noticed this in my 250 ninja in the spring, (after sitting all winter on a tender and not being started) but after a good long spring ride it burns right off.. Never ever dumped oil that was choc-milk brown before.. 3 Oci's in a row with this ? your getting water from somewhere..

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Ive noticed this in my 250 ninja in the spring, (after sitting all winter on a tender and not being started) but after a good long spring ride it burns right off.. Never ever dumped oil that was choc-milk brown before.. 3 Oci's in a row with this ? your getting water from somewhere..
Ya I really dont know where or how... I know the humidity is usually pretty high over here but the fact that it stays brown after the amount of long rides I do to burn it off doesnt make sense. My bike sits in my covered parking at my apartment complex and never sees rain.

So its been over a month since my last post on this subject and currently my oil in my 250 is yet again chocolate milk. My buddy drained his oil after 3k in his 07 Ninja ZX6-r a few weeks ago and his was also the same brown color. Maybe its just a Washington thing or something but I dont get it. At least both our bikes are running well so....? Mine's with Rotella T and his was Kawasaki oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back