Anyone using Liqui Moly diesel 5/40 high tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used this dino oil in a turbo diesel? I am currently using expensive fully synthetic LM 5/40 synthoil high tech in my Volvo 1.9 TD and I am looking for a cheaper LM or Castrol oil (Must be a 5/40) to see if it produces similar UOA results. Castrol Edge 5/40 is quite pricey in Germany and the LM diesel oil is cheaper.

Never seen it stocked anywhere in the UK. Even Opieoils doesn't stock LM products.

That engine is an old school design and was a 6k mile or 6 month interval on my old Renault 19 RTdt, which came with 90bhp. I think I used Castrol GTX in it.

On checking the Castrol site it recommends a 10w40 Magnatec Semi for the R19 and Edge 5w40 Full Synth first choice for the V40 with Magnatec Semi 10w40 as a second choice.

Intervals are 5k/12 months R19

And 10k/no time stated V40.

I would suggest that since Castrol don't suggest GTX/Mineral/Conventional then I wouldn't use it. Unless the OCI is reduced accordingly.

Though having said that I had no issues with mine on GTX so perhaps the specs have been updated over the years. Or perhaps I am mistaken in what I used and it may have been Magnatec or Magnatec's predecessor.

The Castrol site recommends Magnetec 10/40 as a cheaper option to Edge. My engine is the Renault Laguna 1.9 TD de-tuned from 130 to 115hp by the turbo for a longer life, as part of the mods that were done by Volvo for the phase 2 V40.
One new HC synthetic that is the same price as the LM oil is Magnetec 5/40, but I would prefer an oil designed for diesel engines only, so I think I will test the LM one next.

I haven't seen an diesel only oil in many years in the UK, even Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel is specced up as an A3/B3/B4.

I have been looking into Mobil Delvac oils and have been given a price on Delvac XHP 10w40 of £3.63. + vat (20%) which works out T just over £21 for five litres so undercuts Mobil 1 0w40 TD and New Life.

The XHP has TBN of 12 and is capable of extended drains.

But carries E? AcEA specs.

But it is an API CI 4 oil so is fine for my Taxi.

I am going to buy 20 litres later in the month, just over £72.

You have to buy Delvac from a distributer in the UK, nearest to London is in Southampton.

If you're on about Diesel Synthoil High Tech 5W-40, it's Group IV based synthetic - not conventional.

No it is the 5/40 Diesel High Tech oil not the Synthoil. Oddly enough Liqui Moly don't sell the diesel version of Synthoil in Germany and I will have to buy it online which will cost more than if I was in the UK. The dino diesel high tech 5/40 is quite a cheap oil.
Castrol magnetec 10/40 costs nearly as much as the oil I am using and they don't import GTX into Germany so I can't try that one here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back