Can bad gas cause this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I haven't done the filter yet, it looks reasonably fresh, and I get good flow from the fuel pump pulling through the existing filter.

Today nearly two bottles of ISO HEET were introduced to the gas tank, the remainder going straight into the carburetor. It was still hard to start, but it started. Then it was driven around the parking lot, this time it was usually good up to half throttle or so(MUCH BETTER). I could rev it in neutral and see the cloud of atomized gasoline in the primary barrel. Then it quit again and wouldn't start again. Tomorrow some gas cans and a siphon hose will be acquired, and all the fuel will be replaced with fresh.

Last edited:
You have my respect and sympathy, OP.

Me drove my 3cyl 1L Suzuki Forsa to college and back and was a laughing stock on the highway...but then again: being a poor student on student loan, there was a time in my life where I had less than 70 bux in my pocket before I called myself dead "broke" but was able to get home on 12.50 worth of gas....

Those days are long gone and I'm happy for what I have/had before... It's part of life's experience you know.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest
You have my respect and sympathy, OP.

Me drove my 3cyl 1L Suzuki Forsa to college and back and was a laughing stock on the highway...but then again: being a poor student on student loan, there was a time in my life where I had less than 70 bux in my pocket before I called myself dead "broke" but was able to get home on 12.50 worth of gas....

Those days are long gone and I'm happy for what I have/had before... It's part of life's experience you know.

Q.

The Yugo serves many purposes, one of the best is it's effects on perception of power. My 120 hp Sunfire feels like a E-Type Jaguar with a Saturn V strapped to the back after a day in the Yugo.

Another great one is collapsing the fragile reality some people hold. Taking it to the Woodward dream cruise and street parking it next to some Barret Jackson special Chevelle to watch people reactions is fun. Some Laugh, some cry, most just look at it sideways. I have yet to run it though Grosse Pointe, preferably wearing a suit and blasting some appropriate music(Dies Irae?) but plan on it eventually.

Its much meaner bark than bite exhaust note(2" system, glasspack muffler) has caused many, many people to try racing me. I usually just laugh maniacally and turn off at the next street. In special cases, I will egg them on, hoping to see some ricer blow a honda piston through his fake CF hood.

Just looking at the size of the [censored] thing parked next to modern cars sometimes causes me to break down in laughter.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem way back when with our 74 Torino. After we bought the car, I found water in the tank I went through a lot of fuel filters. The problem was fixed for good when I took off the tank (26 gals, covered in rustproofing!), drained and cleaned it of rust using a garden hose, dried it, and flushed the lines and carburator. It ran well for the next 136K until it was totaled.

Most of the time bad gas just makes my wife roll down the car window, it never effects the engine.
smirk.gif

Definitely sounds like you filled up with old gas. Premium may not be bought often at that station. So your carb is vented to the atmosphere? Depending on how you did that, you could be introducing moisture to your fuel that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back