Hot bluing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Remington 512 Sportsmaster that I would like to restore to its original condition. The bluing is pretty worn and I would like to have it hot blued. Anyone have an idea of the cost and can I ship the barreled action without an FFL?

If you ship it to a FFL who does the work (or farms it out) then THEY ship it back you can ship it.

This is of course your local state, county or city does not have any "laws" that forbid the shipping/receiving of firearms or related items.

Try to find someone local that have tanks. I'd always rather have someone that I can look in their eyes if WE have a problem.

Take care, Bill

I think you can ship it, just not through the post office. I do not remember the exact details though.

Originally Posted By: AVB
I think you can ship it, just not through the post office. I do not remember the exact details though.

Actually you can ship long arms through the USPS if the local people read the rules. Again if the local "laws" allow this.

Short arms have to be shipped either through the USPS by someone WITH a FFL.

The private citizen has to use UPS/FedEx and their ripoff over night service.
mad.gif

Take care, Bill

I have that same rifle and the bluing is completely gone from mine. I have thought about cold bluing it with Belgian Blue or something similar.

How about sending it back to Remington? I know Mossberg re-blues barrels. Remington might even upgrade it some if they find worn parts etc.

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
I have that same rifle and the bluing is completely gone from mine. I have thought about cold bluing it with Belgian Blue or something similar.

Don't they never last. If you would settle for a more satin blue job you can hot water/rust blue small parts at home with a good setup. I use Mark Lee Express Blue and an old propane fired turkey frier to re blue guns at home. Here is pic of a Frommer Stop 1912 I got several years ago that was not only devoid of bluing, but was also covered in surface rust and the action was stuck. I soaked it in kroil, steel wooled the rust off, and blued it all in a few days. The bluing part was east and took a few hours start to stop and cost me very little. It seems to be more durable than the high gloss blues too.
Picture110.jpg

Picture112.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pete C.
How about sending it back to Remington? I know Mossberg re-blues barrels. Remington might even upgrade it some if they find worn parts etc.

Great idea, I never thought of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back