Engine tech. for meeting the 54.5mpg CAFE reqs

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll also see more companies doing things like Mazda's Skyactiv, seeking to lessen weight in the cars. Smaller turbocharged engines are already here to stay.

The future is looking increasingly turbocharged, direct-injected, and lighter-mass. I dare say, it's almost electric!

I found this infographic informative also: http://www.wellhome.com/blog/2011/04/100-years-of-fuel-economy-at-a-glance/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
The article somehow forgot to mention hybrids that are already getting that MPG.

Well, it was mainly focused on ICE tech and not overall systems. For example, it also didn't mention anything about weight reduction, aerodynamics, or transmissions.

Originally Posted By: Brenden
I like that the cars are getting lighter, I don't like driving a 4000 lb boat.

I disagree I hate the plasticy lighter cars and prefer my boats but to each his own

Originally Posted By: 4x4chevydude
Originally Posted By: Brenden
I like that the cars are getting lighter, I don't like driving a 4000 lb boat.

I disagree I hate the plasticy lighter cars and prefer my boats but to each his own

It's just the inner American "bigger is better" coming out, lol.

The article is pretty superficial and overly general in some of its assertions, but has pretty good discussion on the HCCI and the latest topic in the engine community: RCCI. HCCI has been under development for at least 15 years, and always seems a constant 10 years away from practical production. The problem is engine control, and not being able to predict what the engine load will be 10 combustion cycles into the future, which is kind of a fatal failing in an automobile engine. In order to control the ignition point in an HCCI engine, the temperature of the charge must be known at the point of intake valve closing. This makes it necessary for either the intake manifold temperature or the intake valve closing point be actively controlled on every engine cycle. The former is impossible, while the latter could be possible if a reliable and efficient fully variable valvetrain could be developed.

RCCI is a descendent of HCCI in that compression is used to ignite an homogeneous charge, but the timing of ignition is changed according to the proportion of diesel and gasoline that is injected. Because the technology exists to control the amount of fuel from cycle to cycle, it is more feasible to vary the reactivity of the fuel mix. The major drawback is having two fuel systems in the vehicle, and a minor problem is having to design a combustion chamber with two injectors.

Between the two, my money is on RCCI.

From what I understand, the next generation of the Mazda Skyactiv engine is going to be HCCI.

I'm not sure how I feel about engine start-stop all the time.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
The article somehow forgot to mention hybrids that are already getting that MPG.

Well, it was mainly focused on ICE tech and not overall systems. For example, it also didn't mention anything about weight reduction, aerodynamics, or transmissions.

Well, yes, but CAFE will not be increased to those required levels without addressing all of those issues globally at the same time.

The internal combustion engine as we know it is a dinosaur. Same basic design for decades. Remember the 4 cyl engine in a Buick Century or Pontiac Grand Prix 30 years ago? Worried about emissions? Just run them hotter. Less is more. Look for the eco-boost idea to spread near-term. Also look for sub 2.0 liter turbo engines. The new Sonata has a 2.0 ltr T that has what, 270 HP. Great for the sports-minded. So a 1.0 T might have 135 hp and get great mpg and still get you where you want to go.
Here's a thought: make natural gas cars. A 1,000 year supply under our own soil. Yes, the infrastructure has to catch up. If a hybrid gasoline engine is good, a hybrid NG would be the next best thing.

Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe
The internal combustion engine as we know it is a dinosaur. Same basic design for decades. Remember the 4 cyl engine in a Buick Century or Pontiac Grand Prix 30 years ago? Worried about emissions? Just run them hotter. Less is more. Look for the eco-boost idea to spread near-term. Also look for sub 2.0 liter turbo engines. The new Sonata has a 2.0 ltr T that has what, 270 HP. Great for the sports-minded. So a 1.0 T might have 135 hp and get great mpg and still get you where you want to go.

We're finally seeing exactly that. Ford's dropping a 1.0T or 1.2T into a Focus soon.

Driving a car with a 1.4T engine, it's great. The car has enough power to get out of its own way, and gets 40+ mpg almost every tank. It also runs hotter, at 220*F operating temperature, than most other ICE's I'm familiar with.

We have the technology to meet 54.5 mpg CAFE right now. It's a matter of styling it so folks will buy it.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Not trying to turn this into a political thing ... but NYS has pretty much outlawed it.

What is being outlawed in NY State?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
What is being outlawed in NY State?

I was wondering the same thing. CNG? I don't think so - I know the city buses in Syracuse are CNG fueled.

Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe

Here's a thought: make natural gas cars. A 1,000 year supply under our own soil. Yes, the infrastructure has to catch up. If a hybrid gasoline engine is good, a hybrid NG would be the next best thing.

Note that these figures are always "at today's useage"...throw in 3% increase in consumption per year, and that 1,000 years becomes 500 years in as little as 17 years...17 year later, it's 200 years left.

When you then start transferring power generation and transport onto NG, 1,000 years is probably less than 100.

Quote:
We have the technology to meet 54.5 mpg CAFE right now. It's a matter of styling it so folks will buy it.

LOL. Have a third party create something that people don't want and then have an interested party have to come up with a way to sell it to them.

What could possibly go wrong?

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
http://arstechnica.com/features/2012/10/the-road-ahead-how-well-get-to-54-5-mpg-by-2025/

The article talks about start-stop, gasoline vs. diesel, direct injection, as well as some further-out technology like HCCI and variants of it.

Just look at the increased cost and complexity that consumers will have to deal with, all to satisfy a completely arbitrary mandate.

People complain that they can't work on their cars now, imagine what it will be like in the future!

Originally Posted By: Tempest

Just look at the increased cost and complexity that consumers will have to deal with, all to satisfy a completely arbitrary mandate.

People complain that they can't work on their cars now, imagine what it will be like in the future!

Somehow you fail to notice that global oil shortage and US addiction on imported oil is a huge nation security issue and will (or did already) bankrupt the whole nation. Being able to work on ones cars is a lame complaint when you see a bigger picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back