Purchasing torque wrench - 3/8 or 1/2 inch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will need to purchase a torque wrench in the near future. I don't have an impact gun, so torque sticks aren't a possibility.

Initially, I will use this torque wrench to change the timing belt on my 97 Accord. The instructions I am following state that I will need one that can torque up to 181 lbs/ft. This excludes a lot of cheap ones that only go up to 150 lbs/ft or less. I also plan to use it to tighten lug nuts on my cars when I rotate my tires and basically any other time I need a specific bolt tightness.

With that in mind, should I opt for a 1/2 inch or 3/8 inch torque wrench?

1/2 inch advantages:
Seems like a 1/2 inch would be more solid, sturdy and able to handle the strain of 180+ lbs/ft.

3/8 inch advantages:
Less expensive
I already have a complete set of 3/8 inch metric sockets
Easier to get into tight spots?

I would appreciate your thoughts on the matter. Thanks.

I have been using the same 1/2" dial gauge torque wrench for over 20 years with a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter if I need it.

I've used it for Hondas, Volkswagens, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, Dodges and over a dozen motorcycles.

Well, what are the other torque specs you'll need? 181 ft-lbs is the top, but what's the lowest?

I would guess on a timing belt job there will be some smaller bolts that a 1/2" torque wrench won't be able to torque. Most torque wrenches are only accurate from 20-100% of full scale.

I would guess you'll need more than one. My 1/2" is my least used, so I have a HF torque wrench for that size and it works just fine. My other wrenches are more expensive brands, because they get used more often.

For what you are saying, go 1/2" drive.

Most torque wrenches that float around the 200 ft-lb ballpark have a range of 50-250 Ft. Lbs in 1/2" drive.

The length makes for very little effort required to torque stuff like lugs. So be careful not to over torque.

You can buy a 1/2" drive-to- 3/8" adapter, but it adds to the length perpendicular to the head by 1/2"-3/4" inch, but would work well in most applications and only costs a few dollars.

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Does anybody make a 3/8ths one that goes to 200 ft lbs?

I found this one when searching the OReilly Auto Parts website:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail...0&ppt=C0216

I have $40 in gift cards from there so this one is very tempting.
Ummm that one does up to 250 INCH POUNDS. Big difference between INCH and FT lbs.

•UPC: 39564501975
•3/8 Inch Drive
•25 To 250 In./Lbs.

Originally Posted By: Falken
Paja, that is an in-lbs torque wrench, only good for oil pans and stuff, you can't torque lugs with it it is too tiny.

Holy carp, you're right. Guess it pays to read the fine print.

So it's looking like I'll need the 1/2 inch with a possibility of needing a separate 3/8 inch one for the lower values.

I found this one at Sears. What do you guys think -- any good? The price is certainly right.

http://www.searsoutlet.com/d/product_details.jsp?pid=104210&mode=seeAll

You'll still need more than one, since most 200 ft-lb torque wrenches would only be accurate down to 40 ft-lbs, which will still be too much for smaller bolts, oil drain pans, etc.

I actually have something like 6 torque wrenches to cover all the bases, but you could get by with fewer. I think the max most people would need is 3 or 4.

Unless you have some bolts that require really low torque, (15 ft-lbs and below), then here's what I'd do:
- Decent quality cheaper wrench for the 1/2"
- Good quality 3/8". I have this one from Harry Epstein. Made in the USA and well priced at $50. I have it and it works well.

This is just my opinion, of course.

I have 3 TW - the 3/8" is used 95% of the time. You will probably need the 1/2" at 181 for one time on that engine - the crank bolt. 1/4" is a specially item for internal trans, electronics, etc.

Just previous post is good. Buy a quality 3/8". You will need a 5-40 range many more times than anything over 100. Honda engine has lots of fasteners in the 10 range. Buy a 1/2" from Harbor Freight for the few times you use it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Well, what are the other torque specs you'll need? 181 ft-lbs is the top, but what's the lowest?

I would guess on a timing belt job there will be some smaller bolts that a 1/2" torque wrench won't be able to torque. Most torque wrenches are only accurate from 20-100% of full scale.

I would guess you'll need more than one. My 1/2" is my least used, so I have a HF torque wrench for that size and it works just fine. My other wrenches are more expensive brands, because they get used more often.

+1 - What he said.

BTW - my TW are always reboxed and set to zero after use.

Last edited:
You really need more than one tool if you are doing more work on cars.
The Craftsman you linked too is an older model which AFAIK was still made in the USA and at that $50 price tag is a real bargain.

I would definitely own that 25-250lb Craftsman if i were in the market. It can do lugs and larger stuff like hub bearing nuts, crank bolts, head bolts, main and rod bolts/nuts, etc.
Some of which can require more than the more common 150lb wrenches.

A 3/8 with a good range will be helpful doing smaller jobs that really require a torque wrench.

Buy all three (1/2, 3/8, 1/4) for $30 bucks and call it a day! You might have to wait and watch for that kind of deal to show up again.

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama

I found this one when searching the OReilly Auto Parts website:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail...0&ppt=C0216

I have $40 in gift cards from there so this one is very tempting.

If you read that carefully that's 250 In/lbs not 250 FT/lbs.

You best check the 1/2 inch Torque wrenches. Some only go up to 150 ft/lbs. Is there someone that you can borrow a 200 ft/lbs torque wrench from to tighten the one bolt? That's what I did for my timing belt jobs. Otherwise save your money and buy a cheap HF one.

Regards, JC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back