Nissan Juke - Another "What oil should I use?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

Here is another "What oil should I use? What is the BEST oil?" thread.
Sorry for this, but I would like to get some facts that will help me choosing the right oil for my mother's Nissan Juke.

In fact, I own a 2007 Volkswagen GLI and I know what I need to choose, but not for my mother's 2011 Juke.

The Juke is a 1.6liter turbo so I guess it is better to use a fully synthetic oil and I don't mind about the cost, as I would like to do an oil change only once a year (actually the car is 13 months old and has only 3500kms... so guess that I won't change the oil because she rolled enough, but because it is the time to change it!).

She drives it principally in the city, for periods of 15-20 mins each time, and she rolls about 15km to get to work, and that's it.

As you can guess, she drives easy, slowly, period.

Something else to consider: we live in Quebec, Canada, where the winters are roughs on engines so it is another reason why I would like to get a full synthetic oil.

Here is what the manual is saying about the choice of oil:

Selecting the correct oil
It is essential to choose the correct grade,
quality, and viscosity engine oil to ensure
satisfactory engine life and performance, see
“CAPACITIES AND RECOMMENDED FUEL/
LUBRICANTS” earlier in this section. NISSAN
recommends the use of an energy conserving oil
in order to improve fuel economy.
Select only engine oils that meet the American
Petroleum Institute (API) certification or International
Lubricant Standardization and Approval
Committee (ILSAC) certification and SAE viscosity
standard. These oils have the API
certification mark on the front of the container.
Oils which do not have the specified quality
label should not be used as they could cause
engine damage.
Oil additives
NISSAN does not recommend the use of oil
additives. The use of an oil additive is not
necessary when the proper oil type is used and
maintenance intervals are followed.
Oil which may contain foreign matter or has
been previously used should not be used.

So can you guys help me choosing the right 5W30 oil?
I heard about Mobil 1 a couple of times, but I would like to get your opinion anyways...

Thank you!

Chuck!

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Is mobil 1 0w 30 an option?

Mobil 1 0w-30 is harder to get in Canada. Chuck, I would use Mobil 5w-30 which is easily available at Walmart or Canadian Tire and goes on sale periodically.

Regards, JC

Mobil 1, any SOPUS syn, Synpower, etc changed every year, in the fall, and the body will rot long before the engine dies.

IIRC, Nissan calls for oil changes every 3750 miles in that rig, right? And it sounds like she drives right around that amount each year, so annual oil changes will be fine.

What oil? Any of the well known brands will work fine, PP, PU, QS, M1, etc. If you want to use a premium oil, ASL from Amsoil would be my choice.

According to the Mobil site in the UK you can use 10w30 or 10w40 -20oC and above and 15w40 or 15w50 -15oC and above.

No mention of 5w30.

I use 5w30 in my Volvo and it is a grade used by Ford and Volvo in lots of applications.

However my wife's Clio dci specs 0w40 as first choice or a 5w40 or 10w40.

I would suspect that like the 1.5dci version of the Juke there is a high possibility that the 1.6 T petrol lump might be a Renault engine especially with Renaults historic expertise with turbocharging petrol engines, so it seems logical that the petrol lump will follow closely oil specs usually used by Renault.

Personally I have had no problems with Mobil 1 in the wife's Clio and as it is widely available I would go with Mobil 1 New Life 0w40.

I know it has same properties as Mobil 1 turbo diesel but I can't see them packaging the exact same oil in two different bottles. There must be some differences even if they meet the same specs on the data sheet, I noticed that Castrol Edge and Castrol Magnatec did this in one UK spec, I think it was 5w30 C3 but I may be wrong, but they are different pro es in the case of Castrol.

Sorry I have digressed. Mobil 1 0w40 as mentioned for me.

OCI according to Mobil is 20k km.

Never heard on an OCI as short as 3750 for a long time. Is that standard in Canada?

Seems a waste of good synthetic oil as I wouldn't put anything but full synth in a new car like a Juke. Especially as it has a turbo.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
OCI according to Mobil is 20k km.

Never heard on an OCI as short as 3750 for a long time. Is that standard in Canada?

Seems a waste of good synthetic oil as I wouldn't put anything but full synth in a new car like a Juke. Especially as it has a turbo.

Not sure about Nissan, but Hyundai has a 3750 mike OCI for severe service. The OP's mother's driving sounds like severe service to me (short trips.)

For nissan canada its only 5w30 and 6000km or 6 months. If you choose preffered use the same but it changes out some fluids out sooner. If your not in the severe category which you will never be not under you could do 12000km or 6 months.

It's strange that 0w30 Mobil 1 is harder to find in Canada than 5w30. You would think the colder weather up north would be ideal for Mobil to sell plenty of their 0w30.

I agree with using a good syn. (0w30 or 5w30) and changing it annually or every 5k miles. Mobil1, SOPUS, Valvoline, Castrol or even your excellent PetroCanada syns. are all good choices.

Nissan oil changes are listed as 3750 miles for severe and 7000 for non-severe. With my Nissan Frontier here in central PA, I used Mobil 1 5W-30 although last year I did one change with Mobil 1 0W-30. Both seemed to work equally well. Truck has about 47,000 miles on it and starts beautifully with this oil even on the coldest days here. Engine is immaculate internally from what I can see.

For lots of shirt trips, you need to follow the severe schedule according to Nissan but with a syn oil, I stretch to 5000 miles and have had no issues.

Originally Posted By: hate2work
IIRC, Nissan calls for oil changes every 3750 miles in that rig, right? And it sounds like she drives right around that amount each year, so annual oil changes will be fine.

Not only that, it'll have the 3 month issue, too, and I suspect the OP's mom is still under warranty. If she's not putting on a lot of miles but is concerned for warranty issues, use a good conventional 5w-30. Of course, that's if she does fall under severe service.

GTX 5w-30 is on for $11.88 for 4.4 L at Walmart right now.

For sure she does very few miles annually. In the UK Nissan seem to have a policy of annual changes but most dealers will spec a minimum of semi synth Nd more likely full synth. My Pathfinder has a 18k mile OCI or 12months, I had initially thought it was 24 but on further checking it was 12months.

Don't forget the OP is in Canada so he is talking km's, so this car is a very low miler.

Is Canada similar to The US were the use of really short OCI is the norm?

If it was allowable under terms of warranty I would do an annual change with Mobil 1 0w40 New Life.

If that is the specs for Canada then six monthly it is.

5w30 oils are ten a penny in the UK.

My personal choice mainly due to availability would be either Castrol Magnatec or Castrol Edge. I assume it needs an A3/B4? Rather than an A1/B1-A5/B5 fuel efficiency oil.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
Don't forget the OP is in Canada so he is talking km's, so this car is a very low miler.

Is Canada similar to The US were the use of really short OCI is the norm?

The American and Canadian owner manuals tend to be much the same, with the same OCIs, printed both in metric and miles. Nissan/Infiniti use a 3750 mile/6000 km/3 month severe service OCI, but they don't specify anything beyond SM/GF-4 and SN/GF-5 and a viscosity, usually 5w-30, with a few recent exceptions for 20 grades.

While M1 0w-40 might be a great lube and is recommended for the vehicle in other parts of the world, it isn't the recommended lube here, and for a vehicle under warranty, it's up to the vehicle's owner.

Generally speaking, "really short" OCIs aren't the norm, at least from most manufacturers. Nissan and Infiniti do have shorter OCIs, but there are plenty of manufacturers with longer ones in North America, too.

Nissan usually use 5w-30 on there engines , but now have 5w-20 now on 2013 2.5 L 4 Cylinder engines , Don t know for shure on Jukes engines .

Thank you for your discussions guys, it really helps!

I think I will chose Mobil 1 5W30 (as it is easy to find and it is the recommended grade by Nissan).

For the period, I agree with the shorter terms between changes, but as this car has really low mileages and almost never works hard, I will keep in mind to change it every year, as it is a good synthetic oil.
If it was a normal oil, then I agree, I would change it at least every 3 months, but I don't want to put standard oil in that turbo engine...

Thanks again and have a nice day guys!

Chuck!

What if you used the same oil in the Juke as you use in your VW? Both engines have similar needs.

What if you got M1 0w40 and used it in the Nissan Juke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back