2012 Acura TL 3.7L SH-AWD oil recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree. Ran RL 0W-30 in my 05 TSX - a $50 OC. Whats $50 every 6K in such a beautiful and expensive car?
Originally Posted By: 05Blazer
With all do respect, you bought a $40k automobile and a $40 DIY oil change is too expensive? You obviously already have your mind made up on the M1 or PP so why even ask? I dont understand.

With all do respect, you bought a $40k automobile and a $40 DIY oil change is too expensive? You obviously already have your mind made up on the M1 or PP so why even ask? I dont understand.

With all due respect, I do not see what RL 0w20/5w20 would do for the OP ( based on what he wrote about how he uses his car ) that a regular off the shelf quality syn like PU or PP or Synpower wouldnt do. He isnt interested in extended drains and his daily use points towards a lighter weight oil. RL 0w20/5w20, if I am not wrong are on the heavy end of the weight spectrum. Also his is a brand new engine, I dont forsee him needing a high detergent/cleaning oil either.

Can he run RL 0w20, yes. In the same way I can run 10w40 in my 5w20 spec Acura TL.

My personal suggestion , PP or PU with an OEM or P1 oil filter. Cheap doesnt always mean less.

Last edited:
True any off the shelf oil would do well in a Honda engine, but there are reasons that Acura specs premium fuel for this motor which is why I would suggest using a boutique synthetic oil as well. Perhaps its the 11.2:1 compression ratio,however the fact is that Honda does load factory fills with high Moly oils for a reason, as well as reasons they have used moly coated rings in their engines as well. My opinion on the redline oil is based of that factual information, an opinion he was asking all of us. Someone who buys a car with a high performance engine is going to goose it every once in a while, why not spend an extra $15 on 'best' oil over over the counter synthetic every 7500 miles? Hence the reason I asked, someone buys a nice fancy expensive luxury car but isnt willing to spend an extra $30 a year in maintenance on the most important and exspensive part of that car? I dont understand.

Redline vs m1. The more expensive redline over m1 isn't worth it when it makes no noticeable difference IMHO. So I rather save some bucks.

Also where can you buy redline locally? Hard to find. I do get on it as I took it to the drag strip 2 weeks ago so it got about 10 runs. Either way normally it will be highway driving to work and easy driving. Show me some info about redline that would convince me because I can easily afford it.

Also does redline meet the requirements for my engine so warranty will not be an issue?

Last edited:
Bourne

Clear factual reason as to why lubrication properties are much more important on this motor than others in the Honda/Acura family.

"New 11.2:1 compression ratio forged aluminum pistons replace the previous 3.7L's 11.0:1 pistons, and the pistons are cooled with oil spray directed up to the underside of the piston crowns, making possible the high compression ratio. In addition, the pistons feature a new 2-piece oil ring assembly that improves durability."

taken directly from Acura's sight.

im sure the oil galleys that spray the underneath of those pistons are very small and wouldn't work to Acura's engineering on a thicker weight oil. If it were my car I would run a boutique oil high in anti-friction properties such as Moly, Zinc, & Titanium!

cheers
smile.gif

Summit racing, Pepboys, Jegs, I buy my redline from WorldPac though Carquest. Do a search on Redline in the UOA section and let the results and additive results do the talking. Schaeffers would be another nice oil for that motor or as mentioned before Kendall GT1 Synthetic with Titanium. Even the older SL rated Royal Purple would be great. If I was in a bind and had to pick an off the shelf oil it would be Kendall and then PU after that. Or even the older Subaru/Mazda/Toyota Idemitsu 20 weight oils too!

G35_TX i think that mobil or PU/PP are good choices, and they meet your warranty requirements. looking at boutique brands id go with Amsoil, as they offer the OE/XL line that is API certified and a direct competitor to M1 or PU/PP. the Amsoil is also in the same price range as M1 and PP/PU. im sure redline is great, but when these other oils are half the price and good for 7500-10000 miles i see little benefit in $12 a quart oil over $6-7 dollar a quart oil for your use.

-Donny

Well I did a search and can't find any reason to use redline. Pease provide me with some links. Otherwise the others mentioned here will dowell.

True any off the shelf oil would do well in a Honda engine, but there are reasons that Acura specs premium fuel for this motor which is why I would suggest using a boutique synthetic oil as well.

How are you tieing a high octane fuel requirement to a boutique synthetic oil? The fuel recommendation has nothing to do with the oil recommendation.

That said, you are listening to Acura on the fuel recommendation. Listen to them on the oil recommendation as well. They specify a 0W- or 5W-20 (yet to be determined). This means an HTHSV of around 2.6 cP. The Redline prodcut has an HTHSV of over 3.5 if I'm not mistaken. Though labeled a 20 grade, its operational viscosity is much higher.

Acura intended for owners to run "normal" 20 grade oils in this engine, and I would stick to that. Pennzoil Platinum 0W/5W-20 and Mobil 1 0W/5W-20 are both great products and are both widely available. There's no reason to spend a lot on a thick 20 grade oil here, unless you just like using a particular brand or type. You do, and that's cool. But others don't (and Acura doesn't either).

Hokiefyd

The reference to fuel was referring to the motor being high performance. If im not mistaken I have seen quite a few UOAs of Hondas on Mobil1 that show higher than norm wear metals whereas others have not. To each his own. Use what you want, not gonna keep me up at night.

I guess you can't provide me with the info I requested because it doesn't exist 05Blazer? I have been searching last night and today and have yet to find anything that makes me want to try Redline! So show me some facts, pictures, videos, links.

G35, Why should I do the searching work for you, the search function works just fine. If you don't like the add pack of Redline, then don't use it. Personally I couldnt give two turds what you put in that car.

The op has a Honda j series engine. These engines or more or less indestructible. While the vtech system has gotten more sophisticated over the years and the compression ratio has gone up the Honda j engines are structurally more or less the same as when they came out so I think my example may help you a bit. My lowly j30 in my 1999 Accord had 180000ish miles on it when I got it. And had been dealer serviced with conv. 5w30 ( not sure what brand) up until then. When I got it I switched it to synthetic and have experimented with a lot of different oils since then. For reference I drive the [censored] out of this car. I enjoy it and my engine sees redline almost every time I drive it. So far, I've ran amsoil 0w20, Mobil one high mileage 5w30, Mobil one ep5w20, rotella t6 5w40, castors edge 5w30, Mobil one afe 0w20, and right now I have royal purple 5w30 in there with a can of lubro moly mos2. Out of all these oils I'd say they engine seemed to like the rotella t6 the most with the castrol edge a close second. My engine feels rougher in high rpm with the 0w20 oils and is a bit louder. When I got the car oil burning was not an issue and now at 232000 miles it still is more or less a nonissue(quart every 7500ish) slight pan oil leak but other than that the engine is in perfect running shape.

In short, if it were me I'd pick any good 0w30 or 5w30 synthetic and call it a day.

Last edited:
Okay gave up on waiting. So I went and change the oil today and picked up some oil that was on sale for $5.99. Got a case of it and going to another store to buy some more before the sale ends tomorrow. Here is what I put in it.
smile.gif

IMG0849JPG-2-X2.jpg

3koilchange-X2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back