Reuse oil out of a car for chainsaw lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I was wondering if anyone has used old oil out of your car or truck for bar lube? My chainsaw calls for 30 wt., but I imagine old 10-30 oil out of my truck would work just fine on the chain. Anyone?

I think someone asked a similar question about a year ago.

Used motor oil will not cling but sling off.

Secondly the oil mist it creates, and the chemicals dissolved in the oil from combustion, could potentially create an inhalation hazard.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
..Secondly the oil mist it creates, and the chemicals dissolved in the oil from combustion, could potentially create an inhalation hazard.

Excellent point.

Lots more nastiness in used engine oil as compared to brand-new out of the bottle.

Neither great for the environment, but you'd have to think clean bar/chain oil would be marginally better.

Joe

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
I was wondering if anyone has used old oil out of your car or truck for bar lube? My chainsaw calls for 30 wt., but I imagine old 10-30 oil out of my truck would work just fine on the chain. Anyone?

I think someone asked a similar question about a year ago.

Used motor oil will not cling but sling off.

Secondly the oil mist it creates, and the chemicals dissolved in the oil from combustion, could potentially create an inhalation hazard.

And so I can then assume you are somehow ducting away the 2 stroke exhaust from the saw? It would seem there just may be a HINT of combustion by-products including oil mist in that exhaust stream!

The used motor oil here that we use does not mist at all, and clings well enough. Chain life is excellent (we do a lot of tree choppin' round here) and the price is also competitive!

Steve, obviously I'm no expert, but you have to know, you're breathing and eating everything that's blowing off that saw regardless of what you can sense.

About the only way you wouldn't is if you were wearing a full body suit and respirator.

Same goes with anything you do day/day though.

Smell the phart from the guy next to you and you're taking in parts per million poop. YUCK.
banana2.gif

Joel

Last edited:
NP, it's all in a bit of fun actually. My point was when I'm sawing down trees on the back 40 and reducing them to a pile for burning there is a cloud of blue smoke from the saw engine, usually a bit of oak or pine smoke, and maybe a very small amount of oil mist from the bar and chain.

I don't work in a bubble!

my chainsaw bars and chains are worth far more than the cost of a good quality bar oil, remember that used up oil is full of contaminants and wear metals, I guess good enough for a junker chainsaw you plan on throwing away, but ill pay for the real stuff and keep my bars longer

I suggest Stihl Bar and Chain oil,it's already close to the consistancy of honey on purpose (it'll stay on the chain longer)Using used oil runs it's risk...contaminants..dirt..grit
If you like your saw and don't want to replace/clean the oil pump use clean oil..and wipe any debris away from around the filler hole BEFORE you open it. Cert. Stihl Mech

Originally Posted By: ULTRASTIHL
Using used oil runs it's risk...contaminants..dirt..grit

I disagree. Used crankcase oil has been run continuously through a filter and should be quite clean with regard to particulates. Any contaminants would have to be picked up by a dirty drain pan.

a silly idea, unless youre a penny pincher, if so, enjoy pinching those pennys on bars, chains, sprockets, and oilers. it isnt 1960 anymore and todays saws well good saws scream.

Thought the purpose of chainsaw oil was it's 'stringy' character so it could carry the full length of the bar. Might make a difference when the blade gets dull, hot and rpms wind up.

I'd only use it if nothing else was available, and old diesel oil will cake everything in black, sooty [censored].

I have expensive bars and chain isn't cheap in this part of the world so I use dedicated B&C lube.

This means I don't have to dress and de-burr the bar as often as if I was using something that flings off too readily (I hope)

The pro cutters/fallers I know use dedicated b&c oil and buy it by the 220 litre drum.
If they thought they could use their old engine/hydraulic oil a and save money they'd do that, but the blokes I know reckon it would be false economy
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back