"new" Shell gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been seeing a lot of Shell stations popping up here in Oklahoma. They are basically taking over all the old Texaco stations. Anyway, I went in one of their stores to get some thirst quenching Michelob and was looking at their brochures. They claim to have, what I call, "special" gas that keeps the engine cleaner, more additives, engine burns cleaner, last longer...yada, yada, yada...
Any truth in that from you Shell using guys or are they just blowing smoke up my gluteous maximus? They are also about 10 cent a gallon higher than the "other" folks. Just wondering.

I hope the new formula is truly an improvement. I learned not to use Formula Shell in any grade and still don't go by except for thirst quenching.
cheers.gif

My GM V6's and some Fords did not like the previous Formula Shell. I had problems in every grade. So Shell did not build a lot of trust with me.

Shell & Texaco were marketing gas thru a partnership. When the ChevronTexaco merger occurred in 2002, Shell was allowed to continue marketing gasoline using the Texaco brand thru July 1, 2004. The conversion activity should be concluded, as any stations operating today under the Texaco star are either independents or actually selling ChevronTexaco product.

The new V power gasoline is actually only promoted as having a 5X stronger detergent add package. After several tanks, the V power may generate better acceleration & mpg, but Techron or Fuel Power would generate similar results, IMHO.

Since Shell/Motiva now run just a few refineries, most Shell stations are pumping the same gas (with the Shell add pack) as the independent across the street.

That's about what I thought. Here in Oklahoma, there are a couple of refineries, but they deliver to every gas station . I'm like the rest of us dedicated clean engine people...if the engine is clean, I don't need no gas with 5X the amount of detergent in it. If it gets that bad, Seafoam works miracles.

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
That's about what I thought. Here in Oklahoma, there are a couple of refineries, but they deliver to every gas station . I'm like the rest of us dedicated clean engine people...if the engine is clean, I don't need no gas with 5X the amount of detergent in it. If it gets that bad, Seafoam works miracles.

Out there you guys should be able to get Conoco or Citgo anyway.
grin.gif
Conoco gas is just like the oil, under-rated but very good stuff.

Since I use these two, I have not bought any fuel additives in the last 2 years. I thought it was required back when I used Shell.

[ July 23, 2004, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: haley10 ]

Just a few months ago Shell was advertising that all their grades provided better gas milage than other brands. Now they have changed to V power. What gives? Does their gas no longer give the claimed milage boost? Did it ever?
Reminds me of the old Super Shell with Platformate commercials.
dunno.gif

quote:

I saw the V-Power adds, and thought...WTH. Much to my surprise, after 2 tanks I am getting 2-3mpg better.

Just out of curiosity, this 2-3 mpg increase is comparing Mobil 92/93 premium vs Shell 92/93 premium?

quote:

Originally posted by Blue99:

quote:

I saw the V-Power adds, and thought...WTH. Much to my surprise, after 2 tanks I am getting 2-3mpg better.

Just out of curiosity, this 2-3 mpg increase is comparing Mobil 92/93 premium vs Shell 92/93 premium?

Correct...my SVT takes premium only. Mobil 93 vs Shell V Power. I am as surprised as anyone with the results...I never got an mpg boost from any of the gas additives.

Oh...same M1 5-30 syn for oil too...

I, too am shocked. I have had my 2001 Z28 since it was new and have put all of the 65,000 miles on it myself. I've averaged 22.5 mpg almost all the time with mixed driving. This is independent of gas brand. I have used all of the cleaners from techron to lucas to valvolene over the last 3 years. Although they made me feel good, the mpg never budged. I also get 28-30 mpg on the highway, when i lock her in 6th gear. 2 or 3 weeks ago, I thought I got a bad tank of SHELL gas because my needle was not moving as fast as usual. I pay very close attention to my mpg and have logged it since the car was new. Low and behold, I calculated my mpg and it was over 24. I chalked it up to good luck and a good tank of gas. I refilled with Shell. Holey KRAP, for the last 2 tanks, I got exactly 26 mpg with the same mixed driving. This is the same route to work I have used for 6 months and averaged just over 22 mpg. I refilled again today, I hope this lasts, as for now, I'm a believer, as the numbers don't lie! If this is a fluke, I will repost and state so. Not bad for (375 HP, 400 lb.FT tq) a car that drops 317 HP and 340 tq to the wheels. This is just about a 10% increase in mpg.

[ July 23, 2004, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: LS1-CAMARO ]

I filled up with the V-power because I was running out of gas and added Fuel Power to it. I got a major shock. My mileage went way up. I tried it a second time and added Fuel Power again and was impressed with the results.

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:
I filled up with the V-power because I was running out of gas and added Fuel Power to it. I got a major shock. I mileage went way up. I tried it a second time and added Fuel Power again and was impressed with the results.

Did the Fuel Power not work as well with other gasolines? Or are you just starting to use FP?

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:
I filled up with the V-power because I was running out of gas and added Fuel Power to it. I got a major shock. I mileage went way up. I tried it a second time and added Fuel Power again and was impressed with the results.

Did the Fuel Power not work as well with other gasolines? Or are you just starting to use FP?

I did not notice a mileage increase with other gasolines when I used Fuel Power.

I was skeptical as well, and usually only get gas at the nearest Mobil station, then add a can of Chevron Techron before my oil changes. I saw the V-Power adds, and thought...WTH. Much to my surprise, after 2 tanks I am getting 2-3mpg better. I drive the same route to work everyday...the same speed...and with the same exuberance. I consider it a winner...

Well, maybe I'll give Shell a second shot. Maybe they got it right this time. We do have different engines, though.

I'll wait til I get my uoa on Syntec, don't want any ping ping. Thanks for info.

i will definitely!!!!!!! use this stuff in my cherokee now...probably every other fill up b/c the price of it......

i ran the v-power in my lawnmower and weedeater and was well pleased on how much better they ran...

so no doubt about it that it will make my '92 cherokee run much better!

Not only does my car have better mileage, but I also noticed more "kick" when I punched the gas. I am pleased with the new Shell gas formula.

quote:

Originally posted by pee-wee:
Not only does my car have better mileage, but I also noticed more "kick" when I punched the gas. I am pleased with the new Shell gas formula.

My Corvette likes Shell Optimax Gold too. I tried Sunoco 94, then Esso 91, but when I switched to Shell I noticed it's got better throttle response, and it doesn't seem to lug anymore when the trans does it's early shift into overdrive at 40mph. With two other cars in the past I've noticed they run better on Shell's Optimax gas too.

In my 2001 Audi A4 (2.8L V6), I went from 24.8 to 27.8 with Shell V-Power. As soon as I went back to other types of gas (normally Amoco Ultimate or Diamond Shamrock), my gas mileage went back down.

I haven't seen the mileage increase with Shell's lower grades, just V-Power.

However, a buddy has a 99 Acura TL and he didn't get any increase at all with V-Power....go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back