2012 Jeep Wrangler 3.6L Pentastar oil ???'s

Status
Not open for further replies.
next week I take possession of a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport with 3.6L Pentastar v-6 & manual transmission; I had 3 free oil changes written into the deal (dealer uses Pennzoil conventional), but I'm curious what folks have been using in this engine with great success...

P.S. I spotted what looks like an oil filter housing for an element filter on top of the engine (looks similar to the one on late model Saturn Ions)...am I correct in this guess???

BTW...I've researched the valve tick and anxiously await fighting with my dealer for warranty repairs...LOL

Does PYB meet Chrysler spec? I'm thinking a synthetic is needed here.Yes,the filter housing is up top.

I have 2012 Wrangler Unlimited. Just over 7000 miles.
Did 2 oil changes with conventional Shell 5w30 than switched to 5w30 Quaker State full syn @ 5000 miles.
No problems at all with the Jeep.
Yes the filter is on top,makes for nice clean oil changes.

Got the same engine in the Cherokee. I went 4k miles on the factory fill (it's a lease otherwise I'd do it different). I then changed again at 8500 miles. Have free oil changes with the dealer but after the first one, I'm not going back there for that clown show. Not sure what they used for that first change, but just today did the second change and dumped in Formula Shell synthetic. Plan to run that until the OLM tells me to change it.

I was told by several Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealers in my area that Pennzoil is the factory fill oil and my dealer uses PYB bulk for its conventional oil changes; I'm gonna do a change between 500-1000 miles to get the run-in oil out and replace with PYB 5w-30 and a Mopar element oil filter and then hit the dealership every 2500-3500 miles until I burn up my freebies...

I normally use Pennzoil Platinum in my 2012 Wrangler. This last oil change I am trying Napa synthetic. As long as you are using a good oil and good filter you will be fine. Just keep up with the OCI. Now Jeep has stated the OCI is 8000 Miles. I like to change at 5000 miles keeps the engine clean and is very easy to keep up with the next change.

I'm sure the dealership will bug me to do the freebies every 3 months/3000 miles (even though Jeep says every 8000 miles); I'll have them do it every 2500-3500 miles (since I ride alot of motorcycle & scooter it can take 4-6 months to drive that much in the Jeep);

Per typical Chrysler, this engine is having some problems. I'd stick with whatever has Chrysler's certificaiton and keep all receipts and mileage. Chrysler is going to try to get out of it ... like they always do ... when it has problems.

Hi jeeper here

the new penta star had a series of engines problems , piston 2 and valves in that area, dealer may or may not cover, have it checked and complain loudly and civily to force them to get it fixed under warranty. do search you will see rash of engine head problems for that engine.

thanks for the confirmation about the valve tic on cylinder 2 on driver's side; my vehicle was manufactured in June, 2012 and what I read pointed toward vehicles manufactured in late 2011 & early 2012 as the ones having issues...hopefully mine has the improved driver's side head; if it doesn't then I will have my dealer start the process with documentation from OFFICIAL sources that document the issues (NHTSA, etc)

Originally Posted By: 97TJ

Hi jeeper here

the new penta star had a series of engines problems , piston 2 and valves in that area, dealer may or may not cover, have it checked and complain loudly and civily to force them to get it fixed under warranty. do search you will see rash of engine head problems for that engine.

True and there are two 2013's that I've read of with the ticking problem that need head replacements, and a few complaining of the tick waiting for the CEL. I put my purchase of one on a longer hold . Another interesting note is the 2012 Wrangler calls for 5W30 oil, the 2013 5W20.

OP good luck with yours, I've wanted one for a long time, and once I'm certain the problem has been resolved I'm going to get one.

Hi, I have a 2001 caravan with the 3.3. I heard that that engine had loads of problems with lifters and rings. I change my oil between 3-5k and use good filters and I have had no problems at all. PBY has the highest moly, zinc in convential oils. Ive used castrol and valvoline with great results. Good luck with your new ride.. Rick

the 5w20w is for federal miliage standards, i personaly would not run thiner the 5w30w, i am not sure if penta star is all aluminum or iron block and aluminum heads, on iron block thinnest i would run is 5w, no 0w. i am running 5w30w on my iron head and block 4cyl now, wouldnt go any lower.

if these are already having warranty issues, use whatever grade your dealer is recommending, have them service it, and use the grade chrysler is calling for weather its 5w20 or 5w30. they will have no reason to deny a claim if they are servicing it by the book and recording the services.

Go to Allpar.com for the deal on this. Less than 1% of the engines are affected, that's better than a lot of makes do out there.

Chrysler IS fixing them, they were just caught a bit flat footed because they use this engine in everything and have a huge amount bet on the design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back