PYB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got through running PYB10w30 for a full OCI and it was still VERY clean, almost like new at the end. This is the first oil I ever had stay nice looking throughout the OCI. List includes M1 5w20, M1 10w30, VV DB 5w20 and RP 5w20.

Just switched to PU and have no sound/'butt dyno differences to report.

Originally Posted By: Sonataman
Just got through running PYB10w30 for a full OCI and it was still VERY clean, almost like new at the end.

You know what they say about an oil that stays clean....
smile.gif

Keep in mind the oil color should not be how an oil is judged, at least on a well maintained vehicle. All the oils you used were fine oils. I like the PU in that engine because of the low NOACK. It is worth paying a little extra IMO. I got some MaxLife Syn for free so I am using that. After I will be switching back to PU.

In my Jeep, PYB 5w30 will darken notably during an OCI, but PYB 10w30 much less so. No idea why but it also runs quieter on the 5w30 over the 10w30. Maybe some variation between the two besides weight?

I think this is a good thread for those of us that have the Hyundai/Kia GDI engines. Mine is very bad with fuel dilution, you can smell it so bad on the dipstick. Oil changes can just about knock you out under the car from the fumes. Also as it comes close to needing an oil change it is at least .25 qt overfilled which I assume would be all the fuel adding to the oil. I am only on my first oil change and about to do it again so it is good to hear which oils do well and which don't. The ff was like tar at 2,600 miles. I know color is not necessarily an indicator but oil that looks like it came out of a diesel engine will make most people nervous about it, myself included. I now have Formula Shell 5W30/SM in it and not sure what to try next time. I have so many oils in my stash that I will see which oil wins it's turn next. It looks to me like I will run the factory recommended OCI of 3,750 even though most of my driving is all highway. The oil is just filthy at that point and being a new car I just don't feel comfortable having black oil in it when I rev it up to 6k merging on to the interstate. I am leaning towards a full synth like PU so I can leave it in over the winter and maybe make a 7,500mi run so I don't have to be under the car when it is freezing out. Maybe we need to see a UOA on PYB on one of these engines and see if it is just not cleaning as much or it is holding up better than other oils.

Just yesterday, I did an OCI for my son with PP 5W30 in his 2011 Hyundai Sonata with 40K miles... We will see how it turns out. It did run really smooth after about 10 miles on the oil. Who knows what he had in it before. LOL. It did have a Champion oil filter on but I am not sure if those are any good. I used a PureOne oil filter for this OCI...

I've only done 1 UOA on the Sonata, on VV5w20 with 2k on it. Showed less than 1% fuel, but the oil does smell weird.
My motorcycle, with a 41FCR pumper on it, the oil smells like oil, no weird smell at all. Have noticed the oil level get higher on all oils BUT the PYB.

Think the PU will be good and am looking forward to doing a few UOA's on it. For the record, I did get record MPG on the PYB...
42.6 mpg for that OCI!

I have changed the oil on several hyundai 2.4 GDI's and 2.0T GDI's, and have never had a noticeable fuel odor from the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back