Recommend synthetic 0w-20 for BRZ / FRS / FA20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

Planning on doing my first oil change on my BRZ at 5000kms (3100 miles) which is only about 800kms away. I was planning on using the Subaru 0w-20 which I can get here for about $7/L along with an OEM filter. Is this a solid plan or is there a significantly better choice of synthetic 0w-20? Though, I believe, the manufacturer recommends 10k km oil changes, I'll probably do them more often as we have some pretty serious winters up here.

Thanks,

Tawheed

Last edited:
Not the same no. Subaru Canada was getting the SM Idemitsu I think....not sure if they still are. It's not like the SN is terrible though so if using Subaru will be more comfortable go for it. The Toyota oil if you can pour that in your new Subaru should be a bit less than $6/L. Any of them should serve you well.

I definetley second the nice ride! What colour? Pics?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Is the Subaru 0w-20 the same as TGMO 0w-20? Probably can't go wrong with either.

Welcome to BITOG! Nice ride!

I'm trying to determine the same thing, not sure if the Subaru and Toyota oil are the same.. Hoping someone will know.

Thanks, here's a pic of it.

194594_10152159519355430_2008174307_o.jpg

Originally Posted By: cp3
Not the same no. Subaru Canada was getting the SM Idemitsu I think....not sure if they still are. It's not like the SN is terrible though so if using Subaru will be more comfortable go for it. The Toyota oil if you can pour that in your new Subaru should be a bit less than $6/L. Any of them should serve you well.

I definetley second the nice ride! What colour? Pics?

Brand doesn't matter to me or the dealership for warranty as long as I keep receipts/proof and it's 0w-20 synthetic. Is the Toyota product better than the Subaru? The Toyota 0w-20 synthetic is $5.70/L locally, which is awesome. Thanks.

Last edited:
I haven't seen any info on the Subaru product. Idemitsu makes some really good products, if it's them it probably says it on the back of the bottle. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2226417 would seem to indicate that's the case. The Toyota 0w-20 is also a very good product, arguably a cut above the off the shelf synthetics (at least in VI).

I cringe at 7 bucks a quart but the Sienna requires 0w-20 for warranty and I'm paying 5.xx for Mobil 1, I guess it's either (death by a thousand cuts/only a few bucks more) depending on your mood.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bepperb
I haven't seen any info on the Subaru product. Idemitsu makes some really good products, if it's them it probably says it on the back of the bottle. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2226417 would seem to indicate that's the case. The Toyota 0w-20 is also a very good product, arguably a cut above the off the shelf synthetics (at least in VI).

I cringe at 7 bucks a quart but the Sienna requires 0w-20 for warranty and I'm paying 5.xx for Mobil 1, I guess it's either (death by a thousand cuts/only a few bucks more) depending on your mood.

The Subaru dealer locally wants $12.75/L. The $7/L price is only if I order it from a town about an hour away. The $5.70 for Toyota stuff is minutes from my house. If it's as good, or ideally better, I'd much rather get the stuff locally.

How is the idle? Seems Toyota and Subaru are now confused as what is causing check engine lights/rough idling.Toyota claims re flash and new ECM,Subaru says only the re flash.If this gets out of hand,betcha Subaru and Toyota wont be working together again.(the Toyota reasoning for the issue is how the computer works in conjunction with the sensors,and the fact that they are very precise and any inconsistency will cause an imbalance.Geez,wait 10 years and they wont be able to run at all).

NICE! Personally not really big on white cars but that is the wife's favorite. I do however like black wheels and have to say they do look very good on white cars too! Looks good!!

Toyota is made by XOM and is about the best bang for the buck in a high VI 0w20. Subaru will or should be the Idemitsu 0w20 and I think it is still the SM version but I can't say for sure. The Subaru/Idemitsu SN version is still good, just a lower VI and much less Moly. Toyota and Idemitsu SN Moly numbers are close. I think the SM Idemitsu is still available at Honda/Accura, Mitsubishi and Mazda up here.

This thread might be a good read for you...
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...519#Post2469519

The good thing about the Toyota is it is still high VI, meaning it will be lighter at start up, especially in the cold.

If the engines are the same, and the general consensus is that the Toyota oil is 'better' while also being cheaper and easier to acquire, I guess that pretty much answers it.

NICE! Personally not really big on white cars but that is the wife's favorite. I do however like black wheels and have to say they do look very good on white cars too! Looks good!!

Toyota is made by XOM and is about the best bang for the buck in a high VI 0w20. Subaru will or should be the Idemitsu 0w20 and I think it is still the SM version but I can't say for sure. The Subaru/Idemitsu SN version is still good, just a lower VI and much less Moly. Toyota and Idemitsu SN Moly numbers are close. I think the SM Idemitsu is still available at Honda/Accura, Mitsubishi and Mazda up here.

The good thing about the Toyota is it is still high VI, meaning it will be lighter at start up, especially in the cold.

How can I tell whether the local Subaru stuff is SN or SM?

Originally Posted By: tawheed

It should be on the bottle. There's a recent uoa on the Subaru oil from a Civic in the uoa forum and the OP there said his dealer was still getting in plenty of SM.

With that high price though, I wouldn't run the Subaru oil. Make sure your dealer gives you the black oil filter. Some dealers are selling the blue WRX filter to BRZ owners.

There's not much oil data on these cars either. The few uoa's that I've seen are still on cars that are breaking in. Keep in mind that you'll be getting some fuel dilution from the DI engine.

-Dennis

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bluesubie

It should be on the bottle. There's a recent uoa on the Subaru oil from a Civic in the uoa forum and the OP there said his dealer was still getting in plenty of SM.

With that high price though, I wouldn't run the Subaru oil. Make sure your dealer gives you the black oil filter. Some dealers are selling the blue WRX filter to BRZ owners.

There's not much oil data on these cars either. The few uoa's that I've seen are still on cars that are breaking in. Keep in mind that you'll be getting some fuel dilution from the DI engine.

-Dennis

So the Toyota 0w-20 should be sufficient? I like the fact I can get it locally and for a reasonable cost. I don't think Subaru could possibly have an issue with me running the Toyota stuff. One dealer said I had to run their oil, the other dealer said as long as it was a 0w-20 synthetic and I kept records they didn't care. Funny thing is both dealers are owned by the same group.

So the Toyota 0w-20 should be sufficient?

I don't see why not. Guess what the Scion/Toyota FR-S is getting...

Exactly, the Toyota 0W-20.

The Idemitsu made Subaru 0W-20 is the low VI, no moly SN version.
Honda/Acura Canada are still getting the preferred Idemitsu SM (197 VI, 600 ppm moly) version and it goes for about $7.60/L.

The Mobil made Toyota 0W-20 with it's 216 VI I prefer to even the SM Idemitsu 0W-20 and since it's cheaper at $5.75/L it's a no-brainer oil choice.
Go with the Toyota 0W-20.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Exactly, the Toyota 0W-20.

The Idemitsu made Subaru 0W-20 is the low VI, no moly SN version.
Honda/Acura Canada are still getting the preferred Idemitsu SM (197 VI, 600 ppm moly) version and it goes for about $7.60/L.

The Mobil made Toyota 0W-20 with it's 216 VI I prefer to even the SM Idemitsu 0W-20 and since it's cheaper at $5.75/L it's a no-brainer oil choice.
Go with the Toyota 0W-20.

Exactly what I needed to hear, thank you so much! Will stop by Toyota tomorrow and pick up 6L. Cheers!

Gorgeous car. Love the white & black. Don't know why someone would choose the Scion version over the Subaru, but that is probably my own prejudice and preference for Subarus.

I think, in particular, the first oil change is nice to get done a bit early like you're doing.

It sounds like you've made your oil choice. I still love Mobil products as well, but it looks nice in your service book to use the OEM products for resale value too. It's comforting to buyers and a proven product.

Enjoy that first oil change. It's fun times!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ayrton

It sounds like you've made your oil choice. I still love Mobil products as well, but it looks nice in your service book to use the OEM products for resale value too. It's comforting to buyers and a proven product.

The OEM Toyota 0W-20 is currently made my Mobil so for Mobil fans you're getting the best of both worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back