Where can you get a decent oil drain pan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I`ve been to Walmart and Oreilly,and they all have those same Rhino ones,where the drain spout is pointed downward. That`s the WORST design imo,as it always drips and leaks oil,no matter how well the cap is sealed. Can you buy one that actually has it either angled upward,or straight,preventing leakage?

Maybe you want to look at something that is not a drain pan. I use a cat litter box. Nice rectangular shape and it pours from the corners really nice.

Originally Posted By: bpracer
Maybe you want to look at something that is not a drain pan. I use a cat litter box. Nice rectangular shape and it pours from the corners really nice.

Hmm,never thought about that. Sounds great!

I liked the round ones from Wal-Mart. I have a couple of those and a couple of the jug looking kind for bringing the oil to dispose of it.

I use a galvanized feed pan from out at the farm.

They're around $5 a piece, are virtually indestructible, and it will probably outlast me.

002080086.jpg

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I`ve been to Walmart and Oreilly,and they all have those same Rhino ones,where the drain spout is pointed downward. That`s the WORST design imo,as it always drips and leaks oil,no matter how well the cap is sealed. Can you buy one that actually has it either angled upward,or straight,preventing leakage?

I use a Wedco oil drain pan. I got in Canada at Wal-mart. I see it's on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Wedco-Oil-Drain-Pan-12-5/dp/B0002JMA2K

Regards, JC.

Recently replaced my old round drain pan with a large rectangular one from O'reilly. I think it cost about 8 bucks. With this one I'm able to let the pan drain while I take off the filter. It was always hard to position a round one so that I could do both at the same time.

I like closed ones or ones with a screen. Have fished too many times for the oil drain plug that was hot and oily and slipped out of my fingers. Mine stay in the barn, so not too worried about a drip or two.

I have the rectangular one from WM that's simpler and cheaper than those pictured. Instead of a long spout it just has a threaded nipple on the end and a cap that would not be out of place on a bottle of orange juice.

Still it has lasted a decade and pours nice and straight. It's grimy and nasty and I set it on newspaper, but that's my fault.
smile.gif

I have a Rubbermaid Drain Tainer that I've been using for years.

Round lift-off screw top, with a peg to hold an inverted filter. Upward angled drain spout with rubber-gasketed cap. Holds 12 qts.

Unfortunately, they stopped making them long ago.

Originally Posted By: neevers
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I know it is a little expensive BUT the quality and ease of use is wonderful. I love it!

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/low+profile+oil+fluid+receiver.do?sortby=ourPicks

Yeah, it's over 7 times more expensive, no thanks, that's insane.

You get what you pay for. I went thru 3 or 4 cheapies that leaked and all so had I just bought this expensive one first I would have actually been ahead lol

Originally Posted By: Towncivilian
I have one of these and I like it:
oil_0ff_22.gif

The ones WalMart sells, these:
blitz-11838-oil-drain-pan.jpg

I don't like very much since they're closed.

I love the closed top variety, and have never had any issues with leakage. I do, however, have a lidded 5 gallon bucket that I empty the pan into as soon as I'm done changing the oil. Much easier to take that to the parts store for recycling once a year than the pan every few months.

I would suggest people to get a cat. They will keep them mouses from your OPE in the winter and the containers for some litter is a 3 gallon container and good for used motor oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back