New truck tires needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to purchase new tires for my Silverado before the snow flies. The truck is rarely off road and is driven approximately 60% interstate and 40% secondary roads. I don't haul heavy loads or tow with it.

The GVWR is 7000 lbs, the max weight for the front and rear axle is 3950 each.

Based on the criteria above, what weight should my tires be capable of carrying? Is there a rule of thumb I can follow when to select the tire with the proper load rating regardless of vehicle type? How do I match the load rating of the tire to the load rating of the vehicle?

I hope I'm making sense.

You can get p-metric but have to discount the load capacity rating of the tires by 10%

or LT-Load range C if you want deeper tread.. but the ride and handling will be slightly worse.

do you do any dirt or gravel roads? or is it all paved?

How aggressive do you want the tires? a mild AT? or a highway tire.

something like bridgestone revo 2's or cooper AT/3 would be a mild to moderate All Terrain tire.

a more highway tire that's very highly rated would be the michelin ltx m/s2

how much do you want to spend?

I have the newer f'stone destination LE2's on our tundra double cab. all on-road. don't know max GVWR but it's tow-rated to 7k and empty i believe it's around 4700. After 5000 miles I am extremely pleased with these tires. can't speak to longevity but handling, wet, dry, and boat ramp with 6000lb boat/trailer, all good.

I shy well away from the lower-end b'stone and f'stone rubber, but have always had good luck with the middle-upper tier products. ymmv.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Three words for you:

Cooper

Cooper

Cooper

That is exactly what I'm looking at after mind-numbing research.

I'm looking at the HT's for my truck and the AT3's for my Jeep.

Originally Posted By: Rand
You can get p-metric but have to discount the load capacity rating of the tires by 10%

or LT-Load range C if you want deeper tread.. but the ride and handling will be slightly worse.

do you do any dirt or gravel roads? or is it all paved?

How aggressive do you want the tires? a mild AT? or a highway tire.

something like bridgestone revo 2's or cooper AT/3 would be a mild to moderate All Terrain tire.

a more highway tire that's very highly rated would be the michelin ltx m/s2

how much do you want to spend?

Why do I have to discount the load rating by 10%, is it just because I don't want the tire working at their maximum capacity?

I don't do dirt roads with my truck and very rarely am I on gravel.

A mild AT or highway tire will work.

As far as budget goes, I can handle up to the Cooper AT/3, but can't afford the Michelins' right now; I'm purchasing two sets of tires.

Originally Posted By: Zero
I have to purchase new tires for my Silverado before the snow flies. The truck is rarely off road and is driven approximately 60% interstate and 40% secondary roads. I don't haul heavy loads or tow with it.

The GVWR is 7000 lbs, the max weight for the front and rear axle is 3950 each.

Based on the criteria above, what weight should my tires be capable of carrying? Is there a rule of thumb I can follow when to select the tire with the proper load rating regardless of vehicle type? How do I match the load rating of the tire to the load rating of the vehicle?

I hope I'm making sense.

First - on every vehicle sold in the US is a sticker called the vehicle tire placard. It lists the original tire size and the proper inflation pressure for your truck. If I recall correctly, on Chevy trucks, the placard is on the driver's doorpost.

The simple way to do this is to buy the EXACT size listed on the vehicle tire placard.

First, you can be sure it fits, that there is enough load carrying capacity, and the speedometer will be accurate. Any thing else is more complicated and leads folks to ask questions like:

".......Why do I have to discount the load rating by 10%, is it just because I don't want the tire working at their maximum capacity?...."

This has all been worked out by the vehicle manufacturer and put on the placard as required by law - so you don't need to do heavy math or anything.

But to answer your question: P metric tires have to be derated in order to be used in light truck or trailer applications. It's part of the tire standard published by the tire standardizing organizatiuons.

Last edited:
It was a $100 rebate on a set of 4 tires that Discount Tire Direct runs on major holiday weekends.

I bought one set of tires this year on Memorial Day weekend, and the second set of tires on Labor Day weekend. Both sets were $100 off... plus any applicable manufacturers rebates.

IIRC, DTD will probably offer something on Black Friday/Monday, but it may only be $50 on a set of four... but $50 is still $50...

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
It was a $100 rebate on a set of 4 tires that Discount Tire Direct runs on major holiday weekends.

I bought one set of tires this year on Memorial Day weekend, and the second set of tires on Labor Day weekend. Both sets were $100 off... plus any applicable manufacturers rebates.

IIRC, DTD will probably offer something on Black Friday/Monday, but it may only be $50 on a set of four... but $50 is still $50...

Thanks, I watch DTD more closely especially around the holidays.

Michelin m/s2......have these on my F150 for about 3000 miles now. Can't say enough good things about these tires. More $$$ up front but once you ride on them they are worth it.

Last edited:
If you are planning to have your truck for another 80k+ miles you will be dollars ahead to get the Michelin LTX MS2s. They are simply the best tires available for on road applications.
I got the P265/75-16 tires and have been amazed at the difference in rain handling. I am looking forward to snow season to see if the improved traction cures my hyper-sensitive ABS on my Tacoma.

I had some LTX tires on my Cherokee and got over 100k miles on them.

Discount Tires sell Maxxis tyres, and they have made me very happy over the years.

Bravo 751 are a very good light A/T, and I found them extremely liveable with...got 700/771 on at the moment, and am liking them.

Michelin M/S2's are what I run in 265/70/16s. After 30,000 miles on them they are down from 12/32's to 10/32's.

For comparison I ran Goodyear Fortera Triple Treds on same vehicle and they were worn down to wear bars (2/32's) at 30,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back