10mm hunting ammo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be picking up my Glock 20 on friday stupid 5 day waiting period, you think it would be waived once you've bought 4 handguns already. Anyways back on to topic, I'm trying to figure out what a good hunting round would be. I'm not going to be directly hunting with it but it more of a just in case a critter wants to eat me. I've been trying to figure out what grain would be "best". I've looked at underwood ammo's 155grain that has 1500+fps and 775 ft lbs of energy which is very impressive (http://www.underwoodammo.com/10mmauto155graintotalmetaljacketboxof50.aspx) but being light round wouldnt it slow down quick?
So in short would I want a 180grain that goes slower and has less energy but has the mass to keep going through said critter or the faster lighter one? any insight would be greatful thanks

Go with a heavy solid bullet for max penetration on thick hided critters (bears ).

Enjoy that Glock . What holster did you get ?

5 day waiting, wow that sux,

Last edited:
Thanks for the info the guy at the store said not to use HP's as the fur and fat would pretty much stop it way short and to stick with a FMJ. I got some Doubletap 200gr hardcast on the way for now and looking to the underwood stuff.

The 5 day thing sucks and is waivered if you have a WA CCW but I have a Florida one so I have to wait it out I guess I need to fork out the few buck and get my WA CCW.

I was going to suggest getting your WA CPL. Pretty easy. After my first 5 day wait, I said enough of that!
grin2.gif

I have the same gun. And other 10mm guns as well.

Nothing wrong with Underwood, just step up the bullet weight.

I use this: https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=219

But I have an aftermarket 6.2" barrel. Not supposed to use unjacketed bullets in the Glock barrel - but you can as long as you don't shoot too many and get lead build up. I also use reloads. I did 1400 rounds in July. Talk about saving some dough. Did a variety including some hot 155 gr HP's. Mostly 180grd FNFMJ.

Cool gun. You will love it!

I'm going to get my WA CPL when my Florida on is expired, until then I'll suffer
smirk.gif

I plan on getting a Lone Wolf Barrel in 6" also until then I'll settle for the stock glock. I dont intend shooting the hardcast through the stock barrel UNLESS I have to (defense) the ammo cost me enought where I'll be picky as to when I pull the trigger. I looked at the buffalo bore stuff but went with the 200gr double tap http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog...hl45s2cjlp0qlg4

I'm not to worried about bears as I havent even seen a deer this year but in the off chance I do run into a bear and it was aggressive I'd turn it to swiss cheese. While I agree the .44 mag is the better bear stopper I'm not a fan of revolvers and if I was that concered I got my mossberg 590a1 with some powerful slug/ 00 buck combo shells.

What sorts of animals? Dog, I'd go HP. Bear, I dunno--I don't think 12g slug fits into your barrel... I tend to be more afraid of dogs (and 2 legged critters) than of bears, and given how hard it can be to put down a bear, I tend to think it's just not worth worrying about. Thus, I'd go HP, and in 10mm, I'd think most anything would do, since anything worth shooting once is worth shooting twice (and there's no difference in paperwork).

Well in northern Idaho I worry about (in no order) Brown Bear, Black Bear, Cougars, Wolf, Moose, coyotes, and zombies

I would be concerned with managable recoil for accurate follow up shots. I just read an article at ballistics101.com about camping and hiking ammunition. It said less than 60% of Brown bears are stopped with a handgun and it usually took at least 4 shots, compared with 97% for bear spray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back