Saturn VUE coolant change problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drained the radiator, and ran water through it a couple times no issues.

I closed the drain valve and started pouring coolant into the reservoir just like I did with the water, assuming it would start filling the radiator, but the reservoir filled up with less than half a quart and nothing will get it to go into the radiator.

Almost 1.5 gallons of coolant came out of the system, I doubt 0.5 quarts topped it off.

I ran the engine and it's reached operating temperature but the fluid level is not dropping in the reservoir. The coolant lines are still squishy with no coolant in them, and they are still cold after 30 minutes of running.

Backfill it: remove the top radiator hose and put a funnel in it and see if you can pour the missing gallon in that way. When it starts burping out your radiator nipple you know you're there.

I ended up doing a caveman approach.

I drove it on a really bumpy road near my house and when I got back the reservoir was empty. So I topped it off and it filled up great.

Both top and bottom radiator hoses get hot and are filled with coolant.

Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot
You're supposed to fill the radiator before filling the reservoir.

You can't. The only fill point is the reservoir.

You just have to have the engine running while you fill it so that it will suck coolant from the reservoir and burp out all the air in the system. Check it after a day or two of driving to see if you need to add any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back