Recommend a String Trimmer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW I have a Toro Straight shaft with a bunch of Attachments.

I like it so much that I just bought another powerhead so that I dont need to switch out the brush cutter.........hahaha...

I dont need ANY excuses to buy another gas engine....

Downside: While the new powerhead is a PERFECT copy of my old one it is, Of course, Made in china.......

If it wasnt for the sticker I would not be able to tell them apart.

Originally Posted By: iand
shindaiwa,echo,stihl,kawasaki,tanaka,hitachi(note:tanaka and hitachi are basically the same machines rebadged)makita these are all machines that Australian contractors use and recommend some people like the 4 stroke machine but i managed to destroy 3 blowers 2 hondas and a makita by not keeping a good enough eye on the oil levels in our main growing/mowing season i also don't like the power to weight ratios of the 4 stokes but i would suggest whichever trimmer you get that you fit a speed feed head to it
I've had a Shindaiwa T260 for over 10 years about 2,500 lawns a year and still starts easily

Got the Shin T260 and T270. The T260 is Shindaiwa's classic(my favorite) the best they made regards to weight, balance, power and of durability.

Anybody check into the Maruyama brand trimmers? What trimmers has the best design? best quality parts? I would like to see tear downs of these small engines.

Originally Posted By: JZiggy
Ranger, thanks for the really helpful input.

Here's another question for ya'll. For medium-duty homeowner use, do I need to worry about the engine size? Here are the products that I'm currently considering:

Echo SRM-225: 21.2cc
Echo SRM-230: 22.8cc
Stihl FS-56: 27.2cc
Husqvarna 128: 28.0cc

All of these are in the $200-300 range. Most of them spec ~1HP. Would the extra cc's going from, say, the Echo to the Stihl mean anything in service?

The top 5 rated string trimmers by consumer reports in order are: (I see a pattern, only four points separated them on a 100 point scale)

Stihl FS-45
Stihl FS-40 C-E
Echo SRM-225
Stihl FS-56 RC-E
Echo GT-225

1) The 1st four listed scored excellent for Trimming, Edging & Tall Grass/Weeds
2) The last one scored excellent for for Trimming and Tall Grass/Weeds with a very good for Edging
3) All scored very good for Handling and Ease of Use

Just another data point for what its worth: the Stihl FS-45 was flagged as a best buy and the others are flagged as recommended by CR.

I made a carb adjust tool with a small screwdriver and one of the blue wire butt splices.

I think I finally got my piece of junk Poulan trimmer to run reasonably well after fiddling with the H and L adjustments.

They are splined, not screws now, and the blue (don't recall the gauge) butt splice fits well enough to turn the adjustments. It will now idle at a low speed and accelerate without bogging down.

So most can be adjusted, you just have to buy or make a tool.

No, I wouldn't recommend the trimmer, but I'll be darned if I'm going to give it up until it totally quits running.

Now I wish I could get a 1990's era Homelite trimmer modeled after the leaf blower I have. It just runs and runs. All I do is put fuel in it, run it and empty the fuel at the end of the summer and run it dry. It's still running and I think I got it around '96 or '97 as a gift from my former FIL.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Originally Posted By: tig1
Echo is the main machine used by the pros round these parts. My Echo weed wacker is 10-12 years old. Runs very well to date.

+1 to Echo being a good machine. I have a 12-14 year old SRM2400 that is still running as good as the first day. I use royal purple 2-cycle...if that matters.

BUT this Shindaiwa is arguably the best machine out there to date.

Only draw back i see from the new model string trimmers is that there are NO (visible anyway) carb adjustments. I'm thinking most likely an EPA thing!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: javacontour
I made a carb adjust tool with a small screwdriver and one of the blue wire butt splices.

I think I finally got my piece of junk Poulan trimmer to run reasonably well after fiddling with the H and L adjustments.

Yep. It's amazing how a little carb dialing-in totally transforms a troublesome trimmer (or the likes). The little ~$6 Sears/AYP/Poulon carb adjustment tool I mail-ordered a few years ago has fixed about a dozen little 2-strokes to date.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JZiggy
Ranger, thanks for the really helpful input.

Here's another question for ya'll. For medium-duty homeowner use, do I need to worry about the engine size? Here are the products that I'm currently considering:

Echo SRM-225: 21.2cc
Echo SRM-230: 22.8cc
Stihl FS-56: 27.2cc
Husqvarna 128: 28.0cc

All of these are in the $200-300 range. Most of them spec ~1HP. Would the extra cc's going from, say, the Echo to the Stihl mean anything in service?

I would avoid the husqvarna 128l as its an orange poulan (dont get a real husqvarna til you get a 300 series), i would also avoid the stihl, if $300 is in your price range, look to redmax or shindawa or kawasaki. echo is a good machiene and will last, but if youve operated the 3 ive mentioned, youll notice the echo is lackluster in power/rpms

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back