Apple acknowledges Iphone 5 camera problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this on Gizmodo, granted the new Iphone has a nice camera, but with the purple halo issues I thought it was in teresting that apple responded to consumers and said they were "holding it wrong" Not sure how many have experienced this as I will never own an I phone, when so many other products out there are superior. Thought this Gizmodo article was interesting in the least. Gizmodo

Doesn't matter, they got the $500 bucks for the Iphone 5 off ppl already, knowing how apple "innovates" a clear image camera will probably be an Iphone 6 selling point, lol.

This is about as good as when people couldn't get reception on the phone and Steve Jobs told them they were holding the phone wrong, then they generously found a solution, a $50 case you can only get from Apple
smirk.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing like Apple hatred.

Ive seen >>$500 purpose-built lenses exhibit this kind of condition when used incorrectly with various angles to the sun.

And the physics of optical design on something far smaller than a dime is even worse.

Does that make it right? No. But this product is what, a week old? Just saw some great low-light shots on the other iphone 5 thread. The physics of sensor and lens design for low light is far harder, and frankly, I think Id prefer to have better performance there.

Still, this is just the standard reason why not to buy something in week 1, and let others do beta testing for you. Im sure a new coating or lens will be put on that will fix it.

If this was any phone but an iphone, this wouldnt even be news.

Originally Posted By: 97prizm

Saw this on Gizmodo, granted the new Iphone has a nice camera, but with the purple halo issues

What else does this phone not do well? Does it cook tasteless dinners? Does it mix whites with colors when doing laundry? Does it break dishes when cleaning?

I'm no Apple fan, but gimme a break. It's a freakin' phone. Does it make calls? Great. Everything else is just an icing on the cake. If you want to take fancy photos, get yourself a proper camera and lens. Considering the form factor, Apple has done pretty well here.

Apple replaces phones for the craziest OCD issues any customer throws at them. If someone has a defective camera I have no doubt apple will swap out their device whether it's on day 1 or day 364 of their warranty.

Apple offers hands-down the best customer support when people are out of that 14-30 day return period from wherever they purchased their device. I don't know why everyone hates on them on an area where they are known to be the best.

I haven't seen an i5 with this camera issue but I don't see why Apple would give someone any trouble.

^ and you showed just how well the camera does in low light... A far more impressive feat.

I see these kinds of problem with a lot of point and shoot cameras, and IMO if this is an issue that EVERY camera has under certain condition, there'll be a firmware update that can fix that.

If some camera has this all the time, then they will likely warranty fix these with new camera parts.

Poop happens, but it is not like it is going to kill you.

Last edited:
Quote:

What is the exact issue? Is their blooming or fringe-noise near corners of the images?

People don't like Apple; that is the issue. I should dig up the old "Why the Ipad will be a failure" thread posted a week after release.

Last edited:
I want that purple feature. My current HTC Titan does not have the purple flare. I guess I should upgrade to the iphone5.
HDMtT.jpg

My point wasn't being an Apple "hater". The article showed how after "Apple care" looked into the article they said that the person with the complaint was holding the camera wrong. My HTC Evo 3d has never had this kind of issue. Now apple is saying it may be the Sapphire lense in the carea its self which means that they would have to re-design the camera. That whole blame it on the consumer attitude make me wonder why so many actually buy their products in the first place.

Disclaimer: I like the iphone 4s i have a lot, but that's the only Apple product I have, so I am not a 'fan'.

That said: IMO,
I don't think all the hatred we see in apple threads are against Apple specifically...it seems the 'haters' have this notion that a certain 'class' or demographic likes/owns/supports Apple products more than others...This demographic I think doesn't necessarily have to be defined by wealth or anything, it's a much more complex issue, I think. (Perhaps that segment the haters target have that certain 'something' in them that money really cannot buy, and that the haters can never achieve ?
wink.gif

And the 'haters' I think, are (or 'feel' they are)...um, kinda 'different' from that 'Apple' segment - and they just like to or have the tendency to enjoy 'bashing' them indirectly by bashing Apple...

This is not only with Apple though...I am sure the same thing happens with brands of cars too...but in a much more subtle fashion...

That said, I think the best thing to do is:
IF I WAS an Apple 'fan', OR if i felt like I belong to that 'segment' of population that the Apple bashers THINK I belong to, is to ignore the 'haters' - It's very difficult to argue with that crowd.

(By the 'crowd' I mean the haters who bash every Apple owner automatically, just because they own an Apple product, NOT the constructive/logical critics of certain Apple products, whom I respect)

Saw this on Gizmodo, granted the new Iphone has a nice camera, but with the purple halo issues I thought it was in teresting that apple responded to consumers and said they were "holding it wrong" Not sure how many have experienced this as I will never own an I phone, when so many other products out there are superior. Thought this Gizmodo article was interesting in the least. Gizmodo

There is NO problem. Light flare can happen with any camera lens. It is NOT an iPhone issue. It's a few people in the millions with iPhones point the camera just right inline of a light source and they get the flare. My thousand dollar+ DSLRs with thousand dollar+ lenses can have this happen.

My point wasn't being an Apple "hater". The article showed how after "Apple care" looked into the article they said that the person with the complaint was holding the camera wrong. My HTC Evo 3d has never had this kind of issue. Now apple is saying it may be the Sapphire lense in the carea its self which means that they would have to re-design the camera. That whole blame it on the consumer attitude make me wonder why so many actually buy their products in the first place.

It's light flare. My 1000 dollars lenses can suffer from this. Your htc can suffer from it. Just because YOU did not experience it does not make it fact.

I did notice this in a dark room with bright sun light coming from the doorway. With the right angle it does happen, but, move the camera a little either way and the purple goes away. So, the phones camera is not perfect, it still takes higher quality photos than most other phones cameras.
Apple, is kind of like Toyota, perfection is expected, any issue, no mater what it is becomes front page news.

Off topic: my cousin has a Sony P&S that has the same flare. She got a photo with this flare in line with a goddess' statue along with her daughter on the side, and claim that goddess is revealing and will bless her daughter in the future. As expected, this is the "best" photo she ever took and show this to everyone in the family.

I could not bring myself to bust this myth and hurt her feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back