My Kreen and AT-205 story

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading many threads here, I went ahead and bought Kreen for sludge removal, ATP AT-205 for seal conditioning and Tufoil for lubrication.

My riding lawn owner was the first guinea pig. There was a two year period many years ago that I was horrible about changing the oil so I added 3 oz per quart in my Kohler Pro 20hp twin cylinder engine. I cut my grass then put the tractor away til the next week.

When I was starting to cut my grass again this week, everything started out fine for several minutes then my tractor started to lose speed. The engine revs were good. My tractor has a hydraulic drive so I thought that it gave out. But it turned out to be a major oil leak causing my drive belt to slip. I was losing oil so fast that a quart ran out in the space of a few minutes and oil was puddling on one of the pulleys when the engine was off.

I hadn't had an oil leak prior to adding Kreen. Now I thought I ruined my seals.

I decided to drain the oil from the engine and put in fresh oil and a new filter. I added a few ounces of AT-205 and the engine sealed up within minutes! I used some belt dressing to clean up the belts and the tractor was back to normal.

My tractor has a pressure oil system and a filter, FYI. And the Kreen definitely made my oil black quickly.

No drips at all now. If anything changes I will post it here.

I also added about half the normal dose of Kreen to my 2001 Mustang GT. No issues as with my tractor. My Mustang was well serviced so I wasn't thinking it needs a thorough cleaning. I'm going to change the oil in a couple months. I added the Tufoil too and will report back on any mpg change.

I added AT-205 to my son's 97 Acura CL 2.2l. The rear seal started leaking badly after we did an oil change to Mobil 1 Extended. I tried Bar's Stop Leak but it didn't seem to do much. I added the AT-205 a few days ago and so far it looks like the seepage is much much less.

I think you may have gone a little overboard on things to stop leaks.

Any good synthetic oil has all the conditioners needed to condition an oil. But in some cases there was a false seal in front of the real seal when using dino oil and that prevents the real seal from seeing oil. The synthetic oil cleans the false seal, the real seal may leak for awhile while its being conditioned. It should eventually stop leaking.

Most things to help seals stop leaking cause the seals to expand which I would avoid unless I had tried everything else.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I think you may have gone a little overboard on things to stop leaks.

Any good synthetic oil has all the conditioners needed to condition an oil. But in some cases there was a false seal in front of the real seal when using dino oil and that prevents the real seal from seeing oil. The synthetic oil cleans the false seal, the real seal may leak for awhile while its being conditioned. It should eventually stop leaking.

Most things to help seals stop leaking cause the seals to expand which I would avoid unless I had tried everything else.

Thanks for the info! :)

Originally Posted By: RonDavie
I added AT-205 to my son's 97 Acura CL 2.2l. The rear seal started leaking badly after we did an oil change to Mobil 1 Extended. I tried Bar's Stop Leak but it didn't seem to do much. I added the AT-205 a few days ago and so far it looks like the seepage is much much less.

How much AT-205 did you add, and what is the total sump capacity of that engine?

Why didn't you use M1 High milage?

The sump is 5 quarts and I added about 6 ounces.

I was looking for a long oil change interval for him. I didn't know at the time that high mileage oils have seal conditioners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back