2012 Acura TL 3.7L SH-AWD oil recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have the car in the signature subject. Has 3k miles on it now. Factory fill. At 60% oil life indicator. I drive highway 90% of the time 10 miles one way to work daily. What's good for this engine in synthetic. I want it to last many miles. Also this engine does not have the cylinder cut off so the Honda pilot issue does not count here.

I think if you stick with oil life monitor, most synthetic would be more than good for you, namely Pennzoil platinum, ultra, Mobil 1, Valvoline and more...
Of course, people here will tell you that you should do several UOA before settling for the right OCI and oil.
I honestly don't think it matters much which brand. I use Pennzoil platinum and Quaker state syn for my 05TL, and I drive down to 0-5% left, sometimes several hundred miles pass 0%. The shell, electronics, leather and other stuff of the car will definitely wear out way before the engine does.
Check out the current Pennzoil promotion/rebate.

Honda recommends you keep their factory fill in till the OLM goes down to 15% during break in period ( apparently they use a special break in oil ) .

After that, PP 0w20 gets my vote. Or Honda or Toyota 0w20 if you can get the stealership parts department to give you a deal. Given that you are in TX , that weight might be harder to find in free market. If 5w20 is allowed, then you can use PP 5w20 SN as an alternative as it is lighter than some 0w20 oils in the market and the engine shouldnt notice much difference.

I would put the viscosity recommended by Acura.

After that, use a synthetic of your favorite brand. Whatever you have a loyalty towards for whatever reason, Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Castrol. Pick your favorite synthetic brand in the correct viscosity and use it!

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I believe the 3.7 only allows 5w-20, no 0w-20 is allowed.

Any idea as to why? Is the reverse true too? That is is 5w-20 allowed on 3.5?

For 0W-20, I like Mobil 1's 0W-20. It's my default recommendation for 0W-20 because it's a known good/great oil, relatively easy to find, relatively inexpensive, etc. It also has a slightly higher HT/HS viscosity (2.7 cP vs. standard for the grade 2.6 cP) and excellent cold cranking viscosity. Not that it necessarily matters in Texas, but it demonstrates that it uses very good base stocks.

The only reason that Mobil 1 0W-20 isn't in both of my vehicles now is I got the oil that I am using for super cheap.

For 5W-20, I still like Mobil 1, but other brands are more widely available in this grade, like Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Syntec, Quaker State Ultimate Durability, Valvoline SynPower, etc. You can get all or most of these brands in 0W-20, but it's harder to find for some.

Use whatever grade the oil cap/owner's manual indicates.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Originally Posted By: The Critic
I believe the 3.7 only allows 5w-20, no 0w-20 is allowed.

Any idea as to why? Is the reverse true too? That is is 5w-20 allowed on 3.5?

Really doesn't make sense or apply to yoru top of the line 0w20's like M1/QS/Amsoil etc.

Maybe Honda's blend 0w20 isn't up to the task? The only difference between most 5w and 0w20's is the slightly higher volatility.

How could the 0w20 not be up to the task? I thought Honda's 0w20 is a full-syn?

By definition, a 0w20 meets the requirements of a 5w20.

Pennzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 or 5w20 (I say 5w30 since you are in TX).

This is what I use in both my Acura's (including a 3.5L TL) and it works well!

Enjoy the awesome piece of machinery, SH-AWD is superb!

Originally Posted By: dparm
How could the 0w20 not be up to the task? I thought Honda's 0w20 is a full-syn?

By definition, a 0w20 meets the requirements of a 5w20.

Most of the Honda 0w20 sold is the synthetic-blend version, black-bottle.

0w20 almost always, has higher volatility than 5w20. Perhaps they are concerned about burn-off in a high performance 3.7L engine. Also, I would guess that the oil pressure is lower with 0w20 which could potentially be a concern? Just my thoughts.

REDLINE 5W20 for that high performance 3.7!

KENDALL Full Synthetic with Liquid Titanium would be 2Nd choice.

I think I will have to pass on the Redline. A bit too pricey. Reason why I left Amsoil too years ago. I am a M1, PP, PU fan. Syntec isn't bad either, but I don't believe it's as good as the others. Will have to see which to get for the 12 Acura. Our 09 has used PP in it since we got it. Now at 36k it's been doing well. I personally always like M1.

With all do respect, you bought a $40k automobile and a $40 DIY oil change is too expensive? You obviously already have your mind made up on the M1 or PP so why even ask? I dont understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back