FRAM Full Syn PDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I notice the 5w-30 has a 174 VI and a FP of 455. Actually all of the FP pretty good. Wonder what kind of base stocks they're using.
This looks like the 76/Trop artic full syn forumlation before they discontinued them both.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Loobed

The 10w-30 looks lighter than the 5w-30

The 10w-30 does look very light at 9.9?! It does have a lower VI and higher hths than the 5w-30.

A local store has this and is clearancing it out. Its all SM though. If its cheap enough, might be a pretty good deal on some cheap good full synthetic. Just don't know how i feel about owning something FRAM related to my oil system! lol

Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: Loobed

The 10w-30 looks lighter than the 5w-30

The 10w-30 does look very light at 9.9?! It does have a lower VI and higher hths than the 5w-30.

The KV100 of 9.9cSt simply tells you that the oil doesn't contain as much polymer thickeners as their 5W-30, not what it's operational viscosity will be in a running engine.
It has a higher HTHSV of 3.1cP and a lower 154 VI so it will be heavier at all oil temp's vs their 5W-30 grade.

BTW, the Fram spec's aren't bad but PP spec's are still better. Have higher VIs and much lower CCS spec's.

A local store has this and is clearancing it out. Its all SM though. If its cheap enough, might be a pretty good deal on some cheap good full synthetic. Just don't know how i feel about owning something FRAM related to my oil system! lol

Hey, if you can get it cheaper than a dino then go for it but it's got to be cheaper than PP on sale if you're a usual synthetic user.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Hey, if you can get it cheaper than a dino then go for it but it's got to be cheaper than PP on sale if you're a usual synthetic user.

I could use PP but fuel economy is not my main concern. It does get cold here but not as bad as up north. Maybe a few negative temp days during winter and thatd be it. I use Kendall because I like the additive package as it contains a little of all the good stuff. Just personal preference, you know how that goes! The fram would be closely related. The fram was 3.99 so not really that good of a bargain.

Last edited:
Thnaks for posting.

Looks a lot better than I thought, I now wish I had grabbed some of the 5W-20 while my store had it.

All is not lost, tho - there is one, lone jug of 5W-30 sitting in our overstock shelves in the back...I may just have to buy it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back