Collinite 476s and 845

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been browsing around here lately and find that most of you have great things to say about Collinite 845, but it seems like 476s is often ignored. I've been using 476s for a while, never tried 845. I figured if I was going to spend the time to wax, I might as well use the more durable wax, even if it is harder to use (which I actually don't find hard to use at all.) Anyways, any love for 476s here? Any reason you prefer 845? Anybody compared the two for durability on the same car?

I use both but tend to use the 845 for ease of use compared to the 476s. I was finding that I would have to wax my car in sections (which you should do anyways) and could not get distracted or it was a pain to get it off of some areas like the roof. The 845 is like butter works almost as long as the 476s for my OCD frequency of waxing (every month). If I was only gonna wax every 4 months I would use 476s.

As for shine they are both excellent but I feel the 845 edges 476s out very slightly.

Last edited:
I use both, and prefer the 845 for ease of application. Having said that I try and always get a coat or two of 476s on just before winter. 476s lasts longer, at least on the three vehicles I used it on. I also think 476s is slightly richer looking on dark colors. JMO

I have 845 and absolutely love it for its shine and longevity. I have never used 476 but the consensus in different detailing forums is that 845 is easier to apply and 476 lasts a bit longer. Since I layer 845 over a sealant, I don't feel the extra protection offered by 476 is worth the possible hassle of applying and removing it.

I used DG 105 let that sit overnight and followed up with 476 on my Dodge and was actually suprised at how easy it came off. Though harder than 845 but easier than I remembered a paste wax from years back. I think I will use 476 once a year going into winter and 845 for summer. Love both products though.

What I found about 476 is this, prep is everything. If the clear coat is clean and smooth 476 goes on and off easy. If the clear coat is funky and needs clay and a good cleaning 476 can be a PITA to get off. It won't last as long either.

My other beef about 476s is the rim where the lid sits on the can when it's closed, rusts. That junk gets into the wax and can scratch the paint. Any tips for eliminating that problem? It's a real deal killer IMO.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
What I found about 476 is this, prep is everything. If the clear coat is clean and smooth 476 goes on and off easy. If the clear coat is funky and needs clay and a good cleaning 476 can be a PITA to get off. It won't last as long either.

My other beef about 476s is the rim where the lid sits on the can when it's closed, rusts. That junk gets into the wax and can scratch the paint. Any tips for eliminating that problem? It's a real deal killer IMO.

Put it in a Ziploc bag with a dessicant?

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Put it in a Ziploc bag with a dessicant?

I don't think that will help but might be worth a shot, I just think its a lousy container, sorry Collinite. I have other products in similar containers that don't have that issue. I've already tossed two cans of 476s due to the rust. Otherwise the product is great!

Been using 476 for years and I love it. Recently decided to switch to 845 since I bought a griots 6" random orbital buffer, and preferred to use a liquid with it. Water beads extremely well with the 845, just like with 476s. Car also seems a little smoother and slicker with the 845 vs 476, but that is probably because I applied 476 by hand and now use a buffer with 845. Can't comment on the longevity of 845 vs 476, though I trust it will be very good. I've gone through numerous cans of 476 and they always sealed very good and never rusted

I really think 845 is just some 476S with more solvent added.
I take a rag, pour some mineral spirits onto it, and wipe it across 476S and apply to car. Makes it easier to apply, and I get a thinner layer. I'm in California so my hardware store mineral spirits are low-VOC.

I put a layer of 476 onto the Cruze yesterday. I made sure to apply only a thin layer, and it came up fairly easily by hand. It makes the paint pop, that's for sure.

I had a pigeon land on my hood that I Collinite'd a few weeks back, while I was waiting for my wife to come out of the Only 99c Store. The guy slid down on a gently-forward sloped hood for awhile, before he decided there are better places to stand than on a waxed hood and flew off.

Originally Posted By: spackard
I had a pigeon land on my hood that I Collinite'd a few weeks back, while I was waiting for my wife to come out of the Only 99c Store. The guy slid down on a gently-forward sloped hood for awhile, before he decided there are better places to stand than on a waxed hood and flew off.

Do they go after the reflections of themselves in the (bright, newly waxed with 476/845) finish??

I was watching from my window when a mourning dove was fluttering/walking along my roof drain rail, until it seemed to realise it was not another bird and flew off.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back