ThermoQuiet Pads: Where's the beef?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Stephen - Who's GG pads are those? That is really grabby [great] for a street car - that is motorcycle territory!
I'm interested.

Bendix CT-3. They stop very well. The OE pads were FF rated.

These are just about the top-of-the-line pads Bendix offers. I think I paid about $38 shipped on Amazon. These pads should be made in either the USA or Canada. Mine were Canada.

I'm not sure all applications are GG rated, but I've seen a couple other posts by people saying their CT-3 pads were GG rated.

IMG_4613-1000.jpg

IMG_4611-1000.jpg

Last edited:
We used to use Thermo Quites at work but switched to Akebono about three or four years ago. The Akebono's have been the best move we ever made, the Thermo quiets were either really great or really awfull depending on the application just hit and miss.

Installed Thermoquiet shows on the rear of my '93 Tercel 105,000km ago and they worked well and still have plenty of life left. I doubt they see much action, as thr pads probabyl do the vast majority of the work. I also installed front pads on the Tercel 80,000km ago and have been happy with them - no noise and they work well.

Also used them front and rear on a 2004 PT Cruiser and have been pleased with those as well.

I put on the ThermoQuiet pads today. To clarify, I'm using the QC-Series which have Wagner's "Ceramic NXT" application-specific formulation. There is also an MX-Series which are semi-metallic.

I was surprised at how thick the rotors still were, so instead of putting on new ones, I just had the local store cut them. I know some will probably say that was a mistake.
21.gif

The OE/factory Akebono-manufactured pads were down to just a couple of millimeters. The wear sensor on one was just starting to hit. The shims were a mess and falling apart, which is one of the things that appealed about the ThermoQuiets and their one-piece design.

What really surprised me was my discovery that our VUE has two-piston calipers! I did not know that.

Anyway, I guess time will tell how this pad choice was.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Stephen - Who's GG pads are those? That is really grabby [great] for a street car - that is motorcycle territory!
I'm interested.

Bendix CT-3. They stop very well. The OE pads were FF rated.

These are just about the top-of-the-line pads Bendix offers. I think I paid about $38 shipped on Amazon. These pads should be made in either the USA or Canada. Mine were Canada.

I'm not sure all applications are GG rated, but I've seen a couple other posts by people saying their CT-3 pads were GG rated.

IMG_4613-1000.jpg

IMG_4611-1000.jpg

I have these same pads on my 04 Accord and am pleased with the performance, especially for the price. My only complaint would be the amount of dusting.

I'll need to replace the pads on my 07 TSX and was considering these, but was wondering what pad would be comparable performance-wise (and price) without the dust.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: desmonsm

My only complaint would be the amount of dusting.

I'll need to replace the pads on my 07 TSX and was considering these, but was wondering what pad would be comparable performance-wise (and price) without the dust.

Thanks.

You will find that the low dust high performance pad you dream of is just that... a dream!

I pulled the TQs off the Jeep recently in favor of Hawk HP Superdutys up front and HPSes out back. The front TQs had about 15k on them and were pretty significantly cracked from heat (although they weren't terribly worn). Then again, I had rainbowed the rotors with them once, and they're not exactly performance pads...

I just installed new semi-metallic TQ pads with Autozone rotors on my girlfriend's mustang and I've noticed that braking power is less than her old squeeking brakes. Rebleeding the brakes and changing the fluid helped and I've been trying to bed in the pads. It's a little better than the first day but they don't feel to have a lot of stopping power.

I'm hoping they'll get a little better with more time.

In my experience, Thermoquiets take a while to bed in. Using them hard for a while in normal service will shorten the time it takes for the initial bite to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back