NEW ATS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have, and that's precisely why the ATS impresses me so!

The little 4 banger that BMW is using is a bit noisy outside the car, but perhaps even quieter than the ATS at full boil. And I should note that although BMW makes a ton of torque down low I actually prefer the smooth buildup of power in the 3.6VVT in the ATS. It makes some sweet BMW-like noises too.

Just discovered front and rear collision warning with automatic braking and the HUD this AM!

Sounds fun -- if you only ever need to haul 1 other person, and never need to go to Costco.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
and never need to go to Costco.
smile.gif

You can get it with folding rear seats, so if you don't carry rear passengers, there should be plenty of room for groceries.

I've never had a car that didn't have folding rear seats...and I've had many. I know this car isn't made for being practical, or hauling "stuff", but 10 cu.ft. of cargo space is pathetic. 3500+ lbs seems a little heavy for a car this size as well. I would still pick it over any non-domestic competitor though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kkreit01
I've never had a car that didn't have folding rear seats...and I've had many. I know this car isn't made for being practical, or hauling "stuff", but 10 cu.ft. of cargo space is pathetic.

Meh... my 5er has 11 cu ft of cargo space and I find it plenty. No folding rear seats either.
smile.gif

Note the 328 auto weighs 3485, how are you going to tell the difference?

It has NICE rear seats, but to be comfortable you'll need to move the fronts forward a bit. 4 of us went to dinner in it and the passengers commented on how comfortable the rear area was.

The trunk seems huge for such a small car to me anyway. It even has a pass through for odd cargo. I don't need to haul cargo in my cars, I have a truck for that.

I'd say my only downside is the extreme complication of the infotainment setup and features could be a reliability issue in the long term.

Drive one first though, because these are well designed and built and will surprise the heck out of you. I had no idea Cadillac built cars like THIS!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Drive one first though, because these are well designed and built and will surprise the heck out of you. I had no idea Cadillac built cars like THIS!!!

Yes, now if they somehow can convince the consumers who buy the Nippon/Euro stuff solely for status reasons (or percieved status) to try one, they can gain some decent market share.

Caddy is obviously matching, or even beating them on performance and build quality.
34.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
It certainly looked great on paper. Glad your hands-on experience confirmed it. If they'd only offer this engine with a manual trans...

Automatic transmissions are amazingly good nowadays. I drove manual all my life, but once I drove the automatic that I own right now, I don't want to drive a manual transmission anymore.

The transmission is always in the right gear, no matter is you are accelerating or slowing down. It is always ready to be punched. It never hunts for a gear, and it is like AI. It knows what I am going to do next and it is ready with the next gear.

Originally Posted By: chiks
but once I drove the automatic that I own right now,

Which is what?

I've driven a bunch, and after a while, I still miss a stick.

Glad you like the car. Cadillac really started it's momentum with the revised CTS in 2008, then the SRX and now the ATS and XTS. They really have made tremendous strides. I love my CTS with the 3.6DI and have my eye on the XTS...but it's front drive is hard for me to swallow though.

Cadillac's line up really makes me question why anybody would even look at Lincoln. IMO, they really have hit bottom.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Cadillac's line up really makes me question why anybody would even look at Lincoln. IMO, they really have hit bottom.

I have to disagree with that. Cadillac developed the XTS to compete directly with the Lincoln MKS, which is a super nice car. The XTS is based on the same Epsilon II platform as the Buick Lacrosse, which was developed by Opel. The MKS is based on Ford's D3 platform, which is based on the Volvo P2 platform. Therefore, both cars share European heritage that translates into solidity, rigidity, good ride, and good handling. I think the MKS is every bit as nice as the XTS in execution, fit, and finish.

2013-lincoln-mks_100370882_m.jpg

2013-Lincoln-MKS-3.jpg

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: chiks
but once I drove the automatic that I own right now,

Which is what?

I've driven a bunch, and after a while, I still miss a stick.

Lexus IS350, using the PWR(Sport) mode.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Just found on youtube. Those HFV6s have a really nice growl to them. A bit deeper than our 3.0L.

Screw the 6, what I want to know is when the ATS V is coming out...

I bet that little car would go like stink with 500hp and a big set of brakes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Originally Posted By: Nick R
Just found on youtube. Those HFV6s have a really nice growl to them. A bit deeper than our 3.0L.

Screw the 6, what I want to know is when the ATS V is coming out...

I bet that little car would go like stink with 500hp and a big set of brakes.

GM will never put an LS small block in this car. If they do a V version, look for it to have a supercharged or turbocharged 3.5 V6 pumping out around 400 hp.

A twin turbo V6 can have its charms, although they usually sound like turds but they can go like stink.

Have to agree, the last decent car Lincoln had was when they knocked off and de-contented the S-Type to make the LS.

The same can be said about Ford for that matter. Once they sold off the premium brands, there's not much of interest left.

Cadillac just gets stronger and stronger.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
A twin turbo V6 can have its charms, although they usually sound like turds but they can go like stink.

Remember this one goes 150+ stock! It's amazingly quick, cuts a 1/4 mile in the high 13's. Absolutely will surprise the heck out of you.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN

I have to disagree with that. Cadillac developed the XTS to compete directly with the Lincoln MKS, which is a super nice car. The XTS is based on the same Epsilon II platform as the Buick Lacrosse, which was developed by Opel. The MKS is based on Ford's D3 platform, which is based on the Volvo P2 platform. Therefore, both cars share European heritage that translates into solidity, rigidity, good ride, and good handling. I think the MKS is every bit as nice as the XTS in execution, fit, and finish.

2013-lincoln-mks_100370882_m.jpg

2013-Lincoln-MKS-3.jpg

Good point G-MAN, I totally forgot about that model. However, that's really all they have.

First impression was not good. Went to the local dealer yesterday. First thing I noticed when looking at them was the cheap plastic panels where the foglights normally go. This was on the 3.6 model. Looked at the sticker and it was $39k. Others were $42k and still had the cheap plastic fog light covers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back