Thumbwheel ratchets

Status
Not open for further replies.
those type work good or
you can get the sockets with flats on the side to use with an open ended wrench.

I have those too and an old Blackhawk thumbwheel without the ratchet but with a 3/8 square drive hole in the head. Great for getting sparkplugs in without stripping. I prefer the Blackhawk because I can then just stick the ratchet in to snug em' down. I bought these when I misplaced the Blackhawk. they arent smooth, beautiful, or anything but they work. For $5, you can't go wrong. I don't think anyone but Paul Bunyon would be able to over torque em' with their hand.

I have an sk 3/8" one, but can't say I've ever used it. In tight spots, I have used wobble extensions to get to the item I'm working on.

Maybe I'm missing out? But an extension is sure smaller than a thumb wheel.

I use mine a fair amount - mainly to prevent me from over torquing bolts. They seem to work faster than a ratchet for lots of small bolts like you would find on a transmission pan or intake manifold.

Out of my older Matco set, I only seem to use the 1/4.

I agree thumbwheels can be occasionally useful. But the HF trio is one of the worst ratchets I've ever had. Rough action, way too much drag. It was more like a spinner disk than a ratchet. I even relubed it. Improved but still terrible. Kept it for 2 days, put it back in the package, and returned it to the store. Buy a different brand! The thumbwheels from HF are one of their duds.

Last edited:
Can somebody explain under what condition a thumb wheel ratchet is a necessity? Is it lot better than spinning the socket by your fingers? Is this a solution looking for a problem?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Can somebody explain under what condition a thumb wheel ratchet is a necessity? Is it lot better than spinning the socket by your fingers? Is this a solution looking for a problem?

When you are turning a socket that takes more torque than you can develop with your fingers but space is too tight for a regular ratchet. Or you've got too much grease or oil on your fingers to turn a fairly smooth socket but can easily turn a knurled thumbwheel.

I just used mine this week when installing a new serpentine belt tensioner in my Golf. Access was a bit tight to get a ratchet in place for the 80mm long bolts, couldn't turn them by hand and didn't want to use a wrench.

Originally Posted By: scurvy

When you are turning a socket that takes more torque than you can develop with your fingers but space is too tight for a regular ratchet. Or you've got too much grease or oil on your fingers to turn a fairly smooth socket but can easily turn a knurled thumbwheel.

I just used mine this week when installing a new serpentine belt tensioner in my Golf. Access was a bit tight to get a ratchet in place for the 80mm long bolts, couldn't turn them by hand and didn't want to use a wrench.

But if space was an issue, why wouldnt I just use an extension and maybe a u-joint and get my ratchet out to where there is space?

If you could use a ujoint and an extension, space isn't too much of a problem. I use them where you can barely get your hand in and where you want good feel to ensure you are not cross threading.

I have a 3/8ths drive adaptor to turn a 1/2" ratchet wrench into a low profile ratchet. I had to use it as a thumb wheel with a 10mm allen socket to remove and install a head bolt that was under the brake booster on a 2000 Honda Passport.

If you do enough wrenching on a car, you will find the need for thumbwheels. Maybe not often, but sometimes there is no other way - especially in todays tight packaging.

Originally Posted By: user52165

If you do enough wrenching on a car, you will find the need for thumbwheels. Maybe not often, but sometimes there is no other way - especially in todays tight packaging.

01.gif

But why do you need ratcheting action? Doesn't your finger grip automatically works as a ratcheting action? Sorry for being a pest but I am not getting it. Believe me, I love ratchets and have bunch of them. Some of them are truly shelf queen and are bought only to be admired but not for use :)

But why do you need ratcheting action? Doesn't your finger grip automatically works as a ratcheting action? Sorry for being a pest but I am not getting it. Believe me, I love ratchets and have bunch of them. Some of them are truly shelf queen and are bought only to be admired but not for use :)
Ratchet is faster and less likely to slip off in blind/tight areas.

Thumbwheel will have a much larger diameter and a knurled texture for a much better grip and the action of a ratchet. Tou would have to be Mr. Universe to exert that much tightening force.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back