Slowly Losing Coolant,

Status
Not open for further replies.
It might be a small weep from the water. Mechanic says it must be a small leak to such a small of coolant. What can I use to
stop it and do I really pour it in the recovery tank?" Thanks

Why not get a pressure tester loan-a-tool from Auto Zone or someplace & see if you can find the leak? Usually in my case it's a loose or bad clamp & can be fixed easily. Bar's Leak and similar would be put directly in the radiator, but will cause a mess in the cooling system eventually.

Depending on the make and model their can be various sources for the leak. Easiest thing for you to do would be to replace the radiator cap , sometimes the cap can lose pressure and the coolant can evaporate from the system. Replace the radiator cap and go from there.

In the past I would go to NAPA and buy a bottle of dye.Put it in the radiator,wait a day or two,then when it gets dark out get a black light and start looking.If that don't work and you think it might be internal do a UOA.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Why not get a pressure tester loan-a-tool from Auto Zone or someplace & see if you can find the leak? Usually in my case it's a loose or bad clamp & can be fixed easily.

+1 On the pressure tester. You'll know if you have a leak and where it is in no time flat.

Sounds like a seeping gasket somewhere that's evaporating with engine heat. Pressure test it and find the leak, don't pour any stop leak in the system.

The only thing that should be in the cooling system is coolant.

Originally Posted By: dakota99
The only thing that should be in the cooling system is coolant.

And water.
lol.gif

Heater core? If not and it is a slow, external leak it will resemble an oil leak or greasy build up somewhere.

Last edited:
When my heater core went you couldn't use the Fan, AC or Heat, anything blowing through the vents would stink up the cabin too much.

It could be a very small leak.

I had the Radiator replaced on my wife's 2004 Nissan Xterra not to long ago because the radiator was "weeping from its seams" according to the mechanic I took it to.

I would drive it, then sit under it and try to figure out where the coolant smell was coming from. Hoses, the pump, everywhere I looked was dry and clean.
At the time I was not prepared to pull the Radiator (read: I had a job back then).

It could be all manner of things. Just keep track of it. If it is making its way into your engine you want to be prepared for new head gaskets.

If you keep an eye on it you will realize when things are going for the worst and head it off. If you don't keep an eye on it... well... it may be time for a different vehicle in your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back