Current best .223/5.56 62 grain ammo deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the discovery of how darn well my Daniel Defense AR-15 shoots with 62gr ammo, I'm seeking the best deals out there.

Open to links, tips, tricks and treats on 5.56 62gr.

I know Palmetto State Armory free shipping is still on. What else is out there?

TIA

Paul

You have an AR-15 and you are wondering how to get good deals on stuff...

Pablo, man, you can take my boots and jacket, but please don't take my Harley...

Originally Posted By: Falken
You have an AR-15 and you are wondering how to get good deals on stuff...

Pablo, man, you can take my boots and jacket, but please don't take my Harley...

???? I don't quite understand. Because I can afford a few nice things, doesn't make me a fuel.

Originally Posted By: stevejones
Best deals are anything in stock...

Almost like.

Sorry Pablo lame hold up joke.

And a reference to a scene in Terminator.

Terminators use Amsoil, don't they???

Sorry, my age is showing heading off to bed soon.

Pablo, I have an older version of the Mini-30 in 7.62 X 39 in Stainless Synthetic. The accuracy wasn't the greatest but it is fun to shoot, felt like a small Garand or something.

.223 is accurate, but if you want it's nemesis cartridge to wreak havoc in the sand pits on tin cans and burned out cars you can't beat the 7.62 in cost, plus you get to hear the "AK47" roar without looking like a Taliban because I believe you guys can get the 30 rnd mags for the Ruger Mini-30 again?

So, if you haven't tried the 7.62 x 39 yet you are in for a treat, your face may get sore from grinning, and it won't break the bank.

Sorry forgot to add that the Mini-30 accuracy issues have been resolved a few years back, they tore down the assembly line at the factory and the gun won't disappoint accuracy wise I hear, but you'd have to do a bit of research.

Last edited:
I've thought about the Mini-30, and I have a Mini-14. I also have an AK-47. Problem with 7.62x39 is finding brass ammo for low cost - most indoor ranges in the winter only allow brass.

What quality of ammo are you looking for? Steel cased or Brass?

Steel cased Tulammo can be had for about $260 per 1000 shipped.

PMC Xtac and Fiocchi can be had for about $400 per 1000 shipped.

I have used the Tulammo 55 grain with out any problems, but I can hear differences in the report with them so they may not group well. I just use them to shoot torso size steels at 300 yards with iron sights as long as I hear the steel ring I am happy. I have a small section of the finish worn off of the shell deflector, but I don't know if it is due to the steel cases or not.

Originally Posted By: AVB
What quality of ammo are you looking for? Steel cased or Brass?

Steel cased Tulammo can be had for about $260 per 1000 shipped.

PMC Xtac and Fiocchi can be had for about $400 per 1000 shipped.

Decent quality brass. PMC Xtac 62gr looks like a good deal with free shipping from Palmetto State Armory. A local guy sells 500 rounds of Federal 62gr 5.56 at $200 no frt, no added tax.

I have nothing against steel per se, but don't like Tulammo or Wolf. I prefer the Bear series. Brown and Silver Bear look good and they have 62gr.

I like Palmetto State, I bought some ammo and a CMMG .22 conversion kit from them a year or two ago.

Why don't the indoor ranges allow steel cased ammo? Is it a ventilation issue from dirty ammo? I could understand not allowing steel core ammo to protect the back stop. The only indoor range around here is handguns only.

The great thing about steel case is you don't have to feel bad about loosing a few empties when you are cleaning up after an outdoor plinking session as they rust away.

I have found empties from a .22 that had a chip in the firing pin dent from an old Cooey 15 years later... They were almost black but still findable... kind of nostalgic when you find one lol.

Originally Posted By: AVB
I like Palmetto State, I bought some ammo and a CMMG .22 conversion kit from them a year or two ago.

Why don't the indoor ranges allow steel cased ammo? Is it a ventilation issue from dirty ammo? I could understand not allowing steel core ammo to protect the back stop. The only indoor range around here is handguns only.

Silly really - they want to keep and recycle the brass from no man's land! (ok to keep your own if reachable) I told them they can just use a magnet. No listen to the Pablo guy. Now you know why I like to shoot at the club outdoors!!!

SGammo usually has good deals if they have them in stock. You might want to check out Wal Mart also. Today I saw they had a 420 rounds of LC 62gr green tip for $169. I reload for my AR and every other gun, so I don't normally keep up on what's the best deal or who has them in stock.

Try gun-deals.com

I'm actually using the PMC 55gr stuff in my rifles. I'm seeing ~2.5MOA groups from the 1/7 twist barrels they have, which is good enough for most the shooting I do.

I can get better groups with 62 or 75gr ammo (~1.75MOA), but the PMC is too cheap not to use.

BSW

Papa Bear,

They were CB Longs by CCI, Remington, and some Remington Sub Sonics... A buddy and I used to cut class and go plinking up and down a hydro corridor off island... Good times.

Reminds me, I should pick up a few hundred CB Longs for some quiet shooting without having to crank my beast of a pellet gun... bought a Ruger break barrel pellet gun with a scope dirt cheap. It is a magnum air rifle that is approx 1000fps in .177 but man, it gets tough to cock after a few hundred shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back