ATF change interval for Ford Five Hundred 6-speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
The factory recommended ATF change interval is 150,000 miles. Would it be a waste of time and money to change the ATF at 80,000 miles? The ATF is supposedly Toyota T-IV compatible such as Mobil ATF 3309. What would be a good ATF brand? Would a multi-vehicle ATF formula such as Mobil1 or Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle formula be ok or should I get the ATF from a dealership?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Zako2
The factory recommended ATF change interval is 150,000 miles. Would it be a waste of time and money to change the ATF at 80,000 miles?

DO NOT WAIT ANY LONGER. DO THE CHANGE NOW!

While Ford claimed they could go that long they most certainly will fail early if the fluid is not changed around 50k-60k mile intervals.

Use ONLY the Mobil 3309 if you want to be very safe, but it is likely true that the Toyota T-IV
is the exact same product. No one knows FOR SURE that the Toyota product is exactly the same, but considering that the Asin transmission found in the 500 is the same as some Camry. It is likely a safe bet.

BTW my father has the same model 2005 Ford 500.

A service writer I am good friends with at the Ford store(used to work with him at a Honda store) told me that it was a good idea to get that fluid changed at least every 60k. As there had been problems with the extended interval causing driveability and failure issues. .

Last edited:
Kinda like what Ford said about the 90's Taurus's.. the tranny fluid should be changed at 35k, not 85k. oops!

I fully agree with antiqueshell. I have an 07 Montego and just changed fluid at 40k and it's made a noticeable improvement in the quality of my shifts. The fluid I drained was also fairly dark considering the mileage, but that seems to be the norm for the AWF21, as my buddy's Fusion had similar fluid when I changed it last year. I used the Motorcraft Premium ATF, was able to get it for $6/qt from my dealer.

I never understood why they recommended these super drawn out service intervals for transmissions...

I agree that 40 to 60K is far enough on the OE fluid.
I would have no problem using Maxlife, Castrol IMV or better yet Redline or Amsoil as I don't believe T-IV is anything special.

I'm using the Castrol in a Fusion 3.0 with the Aisin 6-speed. First change at 90,000 miles (I know). It's performing wonderfully. Order it online at AAP for store pickup and get enough to use one of their promo codes.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
The factory recommended ATF change interval is 150,000 miles. Would it be a waste of time and money to change the ATF at 80,000 miles?

DO NOT WAIT ANY LONGER. DO THE CHANGE NOW!

While Ford claimed they could go that long they most certainly will fail early if the fluid is not changed around 50k-60k mile intervals.

Use ONLY the Mobil 3309 if you want to be very safe, but it is likely true that the Toyota T-IV
is the exact same product. No one knows FOR SURE that the Toyota product is exactly the same, but considering that the Asin transmission found in the 500 is the same as some Camry. It is likely a safe bet.

BTW my father has the same model 2005 Ford 500.

A service writer I am good friends with at the Ford store(used to work with him at a Honda store) told me that it was a good idea to get that fluid changed at least every 60k. As there had been problems with the extended interval causing drive-ability and failure issues. .

how about the 6F trans in the 08-09 Tauri(Tauruses?)
similar recommendation on fluid intervals (~150k)from Ford. what are the "real world figures" (mom bought a Ford Certified '09 this Feb w/ 35k miles on it...)

I am resurrecting this thread to ask this question.

Is this the Toyota ATF that I can put into a 6-speed 2005 Ford 500 transmission?

http://compare.ebay.com/like/261093687758?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

I got four identically labeled bottles from a local Toyota dealer. All I am planning to do is to drain the fluid through the transmission drain plug and refill. Would four quarts be enough?

I have a 2006 Mercury Montego with that transmission and it took a little over 3 quarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back