10 Ford F-350, 3.3K Motorcraft 10w30, 46K on 6.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
First oil sample taken on a 10 Ford F-350 Super Duty with the 6.4L Diesel. Oil was changed at the time of the sample and replaced with Amsoil OED 15w-40. Owner wants to extend oil changes, so 3.3K is not the anticipated OCI going forward.

Code:

OIL Motorcraft 10w30

MILES IN USE 3.3K

MILES 46k

SAMPLE TAKEN 9/1/12

MAKE UP OIL 0

ALUMINUM 14

CHROMIUM 1

IRON 33

COPPER 2

LEAD 7

TIN 2

MOLYBDENUM 8

NICKEL 1

MANGANESE 1

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 9

BORON 8

SILICON 6

SODIUM 8

CALCIUM 2149

MAGNESIUM 10

PHOSPHORUS 898

ZINC 1003

BARIUM 14

SUS VIS 210ºF 58.6

cSt @ 100ºC 9.82

FLASHPOINT ºF 400

FUEL % TR

ANTIFREEZE % 0.0

WATER 0.0

INSOLUBLES 0.3

oil held up well.. not really a fan of 10w30 in a truck diesel.. but that seems to be where we are going.

How is the truck driven? if it gets regular use and not short tripping you should be able to go at least 6mo 5000miles without blinking.

maybe sample then without dumping.

although I always hesitate to sample on the first oci of a different oil.

Blackstone shows universal average for aluminum is 13 @ 5K miles.

Not sure on the normal drive schedule for this truck, I'll have to ping the owner to find out. I know there is occasional 5th wheel pulling to the lake with the family, but not sure on the day to day.

Both the Fe and Al seem a bit high, do they not? Fe is 10ppm / 1k miles!

I presume no significant engine mods or heavy power producers?

And yet, no excess fuel to blame it on ...
Truck must be loaded reasonably heavy and that keeps the regen's to a minimum?

Not really a worrisome report, though the 6.4L seems to be a worrisome engine according to some. I like the MC 10W30 Super Duty diesel oil. Been running some in my F150 (long story). Both iron and aluminum are a bit high in this 6.4L but what are the averages? I have run 10W30 HDEO in my Ford diesel for many years, mostly Rotella. Whetehr you need a heavier oil depends on the operational cycle but if the 6.4L is like the other late Ford diesels, 10W30 is suitable in many situations.

Stock truck, no power adds. Owner said the daily commute is about 20 miles and this run had no hauling of the 5th wheel. The only thing flagged in the report was the lead, although I do agree based on the short OCI that I would have expected either better numbers or higher fuel %. Really curious to see how things look in another 5k. Should either be much better wear numbers, or much higher fuel dilution.

Just because there isn't any fuel now doesn't mean it wasn't there at some point. The fuel percentage increases and decreases depending on regens. These engines also make alot of soot so that contributes to wear.

Don't think much of the Alloy or the lead figures, BUT a daily commute of only 20 miles is only 20 minutes and for nearly half of that the engine is still warming up during the winter.
A good long blast at the weekends or more towing would be good, otherwise I would be concerned about deposits around the exhaust valve or even fuel dillution effects.
One idea to help a big motor used for 20 mile commutes is an oil pan heater or similar to help get the engine to full operating temp faster, as they reduce cold start wear and save fuel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back