Volvo Penta 4.3Gi (TBI) Engines - 15/40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a new boat this year and it has twin 4.3 Volvo Penta Gi engines (throttle body EFI). The engines had 90 hours on them, now Im at 120 hours.

I drained whatever was in there out right away and threw the FRAM filter out and refilled with Chevron Delo 15/40 and a Purolator oil filter.

My oil pressure pegs at 80psi when getting on plane, and hovers around 60psi when cruising. Is the 15/40 too thick for a 4.3l? I didnt think so but just want to be sure....

not in that app. Most marine engines have heavy fuel dilution and live a very hard life (compared to car engine)

no, ok, but maybe too thin!
Should be ok, just change it often. oci in the manual should be 50hrs, maybe 100 hrs if newer and on synthetic oil.
recommenadtions from volvo can be 15-50, synth 30. merc often says 25w40 for that engine.

A lot of guys run straight 30 in those engines. Volvo actually sells it under their brand for an insane amount of money a quart.

On marine inboards gas or diesel I prefer straight 30 or 40, or maybe a 15w40. That covers just about everything except some oddball applications.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
A lot of guys run straight 30 in those engines. Volvo actually sells it under their brand for an insane amount of money a quart.

On marine inboards gas or diesel I prefer straight 30 or 40, or maybe a 15w40. That covers just about everything except some oddball applications.

Well that was true except last year Volvo Penta discontinued selling their 30w synthetic and now only sells and recommends their 10w40 synthetic!

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Gas-Engine-Oil-10W40-Quart/dm/store_id.366--view_id.289583

Last edited:
ok now volvo is confusing... in its homeland sweden they recommend 15w50mineral until 2007 production year and 5w30 synth for 2008 and especially for engines with cat.
No mention of any 10w40 at all... strange.
Anyways, 15w40 hdeo will work well enough

I don't see why its the same motor, maybe Mobil is cutting them a better deal on 10w40.

Last edited:
I haven't seen a HTHS measurement on the Volvo SAE 30 synthetic but based on my UOA it was deep into a 20-weight after 20 hours with a kin. visc. of 8.85 of cSt. That's about what Mobil1 0w20 is new. I'm not seeing the wisdom for the 40 and 50 weights as replacements based on that, but I'm open to a change in thought. I'm running Chevron Delo400 SAE30 and if this is anything like the Volvo synth in terms of viscosity, it's still plenty thick as my oil pressure is 45psi or higher once I'm running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back