Connect Security DVR to the network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mud

Very minimal computer knowledge base, need some guidance please.

I installed a Swann 4-camera security system in our new home, as we will be transitioning from the current house for a while and are not at the new house daily.
The system model is 425504-S 4-Channel, 4-Camera system with internet/smartphone accessibility. It works great but I need some help to get it connected to the internet. The DVR has an ethernet connection and instructions regarding setting the IP address, etc.

Due to camera cable routing and accessibility, the DVR is installed in a cabinet in the garage. We have a wireless router in the house that I use for a hardwired desktop pc sitting next to it and for my wireless laptop. Problem is that its going to be very difficult (impossible) to get a cat5 cable from the DVR to the router so I was wondering if there is an wireless adapter that I can plug into the ethernet connection on the DVR to access our router without needing a cable?

Thanks for any help
smile.gif

Wow, looks like pretty easy solutions, thanks for those links.
I should have mentioned that the garage is attached, straight shot distance from DVR to the router is about 20 ft.

Hate to ask (I'll try to look it up) but what's a powerline adapter and why is it better than the wireless? Just trying to gain some knowledge, thank you for the help.

I'd agree that powerline is better as long as the garage doesnt have its own breaker box or something unique.

No separate breaker - I think the main thing that I've read is that the powerline adapters need to be plugged in directly into an outlet, not a surge protector strip.

Any particular recommendation on the p-adapter? There are lots of choices.

And thanks very much for helping with a good/simple solution.

Just a follow-up. I bought a pair of powerline adapters, TP-Link AV200 Mini-Powerline PA-211 Starter kit. Plugged them into wall outlets at each location, took about 2 min for them to link.
Got the system all connected to the internet, now able to monitor the cameras from any pc, following up with getting my i-phone hooked up as well.
Great advice on the p-line adapters, thanks
smile.gif
Can't believe it was so easy, they work GREAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back