UOA/VOA for Mobil Super High Mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buster has me fascinated about HM oils.

I've been researching them tonight and it is clear that Maxlife started this phenomenon, and arguably remains to be one of the best (if not the best) HM oil on the market today. It seems as though HM oils can benefit engines of any age, as they often contain superior seal conditioners, detergents and base oils for a very small upcharge.

However, all HM oils except Mobil Super High Mileage, are only API SN certified. Mobil Super High Mileage is the only one that is API SN, ILSAC GF-5 and Resource Conserving certified. This is worthy of mention because for cars under warranty, it is best to use an oil that meets all possible industry standards. Since most cars I service are ones that are fairly new and under warranty, I would not want to jeopardize that.

So...does anyone have any UOAs or VOAs of Mobil Super High Mileage to share?

Thanks.

Maxlife just got refomulated to meet SN/GF5 and resource conserving requirements. AND it now officially meets/exceeds dexos requirements with its recent reformulation. Look for new qt bottles and jugs to hit retail sometime around December. We have already been using it for the past 2 months as bulk at our store. If you serch threads started by me, there is one where I have posted a pic of the new drum w/ the new certifications.

Last I checked Kendall HM oil also is SN/GF5 and resource conserving rated.

For the Mobil Super HM , it probably has a similar Ti based addpack that the other oils in its line up do. Personally I am a HUGE fan of Maxlife. So that gets my vote if anyone wants to use a HM based oil. They even make it in full syn version ( SM rated still ) but its hard to find. Seems Meijer is the only place its available easily at least here in Mid West.

Interesting, thanks. I guess the API site has not yet been updated.

I find see your thread, http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2689220&Board=1 , just now. Interesting that it has a June date on the label. I am guessing that the formulations past June are of the revised variety?

The date code on the jug I have here is D2412H, so I think mine was bottled in late April. Perhaps I should take a stroll down to Walmart now and see what I find on the shelf.

I'll email Valvoline to see if they have an updated PDS. I see that the drum has the infamous "meets/exceeds" verbage, though.

I will be right back.
grin.gif

disappointing that they changed Maxlife to meet resource conserving specs. I'd rather have engine conserving in my HM oil.

OK, I just got back from Walmart. Here's what I found:

This was a bottle with a F1912H date code:

804D5399-F6AD-4BA2-A1E9-C5FE1889E621-15065-000008AD9FF108FD.jpg

This is a picture of the bottle I have at home with a D2412H date code:

BCC84EBE-89E4-452E-BF0F-22466A1DDA55-15065-000008AD9B56F676.jpg

Both have the same labels.

However, I took a closer look and noticed that I missed something that I did not see earlier. Both labels say: "Meets or exceeds all protection requirements of ILSAC GF-5." The only difference is that your drum's label mentioned Dexos1, whereas neither of these labels did. Therefore, I am guessing that any update to the Maxlife formulation was solely for the purpose of Dexos1 applications, not for any ILSAC GF-5 purposes (as the previous labels already said the product meets/exceeds ILSAC GF-5).

So, I wonder when the changeover date was for the Maxlife formulation update, if that truly was the case. I will e-mail Valvoline and report back.

Last edited:
The changeover occured May/June for us. They said they might keep the same bottle for retail since its pretty well known. As well as the HM verbage, since some people might freak out about it being a syn-blend ( which it already currently is ).

Afaik, according to my rep, retail changeover looks to happen towards the end of this year. Currently only bulk is being distributed to shops/dealers etc. The reformulation occured so that they can add resource conserving and meets/exceeds Dexos to the list.

Originally Posted By: bourne
The changeover occured May/June for us. They said they might keep the same bottle for retail since its pretty well known. As well as the HM verbage, since some people might freak out about it being a syn-blend ( which it already currently is ).

Afaik, according to my rep, retail changeover looks to happen towards the end of this year. Currently only bulk is being distributed to shops/dealers etc. The reformulation occured so that they can add resource conserving and meets/exceeds Dexos to the list.

I am not surprised that they label change did not occur yet, though you would think that Valvoline has many sales to gain by putting a "meets Dexos1" advertisement on those jugs ASAP.

Additionally, I am surprised that they would make two formulations - one for the retail sector and one for bulk. Buster and/or I will call Ashland tomorrow and find out, stay tuned.

Back to the original topic - anyone have an UOA on Mobil Super HM?

I'm switching both of our cars over to MaxLife 5w20 and eventually their 0w20 when it comes out. Fumoto Drain Valve is going on the 3. I'm also putting MaxLife ATF in the Mazda.

Originally Posted By: buster
I'm switching both of our cars over to MaxLife 5w20 and eventually their 0w20 when it comes out. Fumoto Drain Valve is going on the 3. I'm also putting MaxLife ATF in the Mazda.

He told me it could be as long as a year before we see 0w20 maxlife. I have a feeling specs will be similar to durablend 0w20 with a better add pack.

Not to derail the topic but among Max Life there is also another good but unappreciated and overlookd oil in the HM category. Pennzoil High Mileage. I mean, have you seen the results for that? It's like YB but hyped! Doesn't get much cred around here. If I didn't like MaxLife so darn much I would probably use PZHM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back