Just heard a radio ad for Sunoco E15...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone seen this at the pumps yet? The radio ad I heard had some Nascar driver promoting the product, and evidently E15 can be purchased at Sunoco now (or so the ad hinted). Just curious if anyone has seen E15 yet.

It requires new pumps and separate storage tanks.And cannot be legally pumped into earlier model year vehicles.Its going to be slow going getting E15 into every station.A lot of small stations will never have E15.

Well, it isn't really good for your car. It attracts water into the gas. Also, it reduces MPG as Ethanol has fewer BTUs per Gallon.

It probably rusts out underground tanks at gas stations quicker too, leading to dirtier fuel (I'm guessing here).

Doesn't help with food prices either.

I haven't seen it up in Montreal yet, and I hope I don't!

Ethanol should be eliminate from fuel except in E85 for cars that can use it by people who want to use it.

Originally Posted By: Falken
Well, it isn't really good for your car. It attracts water into the gas. Also, it reduces MPG as Ethanol has fewer BTUs per Gallon.

It probably rusts out underground tanks at gas stations quicker too, leading to dirtier fuel (I'm guessing here).

Doesn't help with food prices either.

I haven't seen it up in Montreal yet, and I hope I don't!

Ethanol should be eliminate from fuel except in E85 for cars that can use it by people who want to use it.

+1 We should end all crop subsidies for corn too as well as the ethanol subsidy. The money would be much better spent developing other energy sources. ethanol is energy negative. Cost more to produce in fuel than we get in alcohol. Ya sure don't see any farmers going broke anymore. We have been scammed again.

@Gearhead:

If the car is designed to run it, at least it isn't damaging your investment.

And, the benefit would be that we would have tech and experience to use alcohol as an alt fuel.

This is just in case someone finds a way to make Cellulosic ethanol feasible (turning any cellulose into alcohol such as paper waste, leaves, etc...). In essence, turning garbage and waste into fuel, and by default it would be carbon neutral.

The underground tanks here look to be made from a plastic or fiberglass material or atleast coated with it so rust wont happen to those.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
...plastic or fiberglass material or atleast coated with it so rust wont happen to those.

The exterior coating wouldn't prevent interior rusting (i.e. oxidation) or water-contamination of the tank contents.

Well, I am neither a tree hugger nor a corn farmer, but some advantages of E 85 might be:

1) it is renewable
2) our petro dollars stay in the USA, instead of Venezuela, Saudi and Mexico
3) it has 103-105 octane at under $4 gallon
4) it burns very cool and clean

Although ethanol is hated by many here, the US is using 300 million gallons per day of gasoline, so an alternative will have to be found sooner or later. Would like to see sugar beets or something besides corn used along with blender pumps E0, E10, E30, E85 so the consumer could choose, instead of an across the board mandate.

I love ethanol. Lets subsidize a local fuel as opposed to subsidizing an imported on. Besides, plenty of grain that would otherwise be wasted now has a use.

I'd love E85 if it was available here. Free gasline antifreeze!

Originally Posted By: Chris142

The underground tanks here look to be made from a plastic or fiberglass material or atleast coated with it so rust wont happen to those.

Here in Florida they only install plastic/fiberglass tanks, no metal ones are used. No rust ever. Weakest argument ever against ethanol, too.

No one ever mentions the really bad byproducts of alcohols in an ICE. Most of them end in 'zene'!

Originally Posted By: beechcraftted
Well, I am neither a tree hugger nor a corn farmer, but some advantages of E 85 might be:

1) it is renewable
2) our petro dollars stay in the USA, instead of Venezuela, Saudi and Mexico
3) it has 103-105 octane at under $4 gallon
4) it burns very cool and clean

Although ethanol is hated by many here, the US is using 300 million gallons per day of gasoline, so an alternative will have to be found sooner or later. Would like to see sugar beets or something besides corn used along with blender pumps E0, E10, E30, E85 so the consumer could choose, instead of an across the board mandate.

Better check on how the solar budget lives with perpetually expanding energy consumption.

Originally Posted By: RiceCake
I love ethanol. Lets subsidize a local fuel as opposed to subsidizing an imported on. Besides, plenty of grain that would otherwise be wasted now has a use.

I'd love E85 if it was available here. Free gasline antifreeze!

ethanol is junk, in small engines anyways, no benefit whotsoever in small engines and doubtful to any benefit in larger engines either. the use of grain in this way has raised food prices, and fertilizer prices, and even fuel prices, its a wasted cycle hurting everyone. not benefiting anyone, including your engine, nor even your engine oil for that matter.

My 2012 4runner will not allow E15.

People with new vehicles are not going to realize it and pump it anyway and you're going to start seeing engines destroyed all across the United States.

It is the goverments way (ie Obama) to force you to get a new "fuel efficent" car.

This forces the Obama mandate on us by making your old car unable to run.

And it "helps the economy" by increasing auto sales.

Just remember that come November 6th.

In most cases (with newer stuff at least), it'll likely void warranties (unless the manual says it's OK), but it probably won't hurt anything. I've run a blended tank in the E30 - E40 range a couple of times in the Jeep, and the fuel system seems just fine with it.

Who has proof that e85 does any damage or ruins any cars not calling for it? I am yet to see one real piece of evidence with facts. I don't use it much anymore because the MPG goes way down, but I have used this in many vehicles that don't call for it, even older 1990s cars, and not one bad things happened except the occasional check engine light due to the o2 sensor or whatever being confused...which goes back out once you put regular gas back in the tank.

Originally Posted By: RiceCake
I love ethanol. Lets subsidize a local fuel as opposed to subsidizing an imported one. Besides, plenty of grain that would otherwise be wasted now has a use.
How is it wasted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back